The year 2013 ended with increased strain in China’s relations with its neighbours, largely owed to territorial spats over the South China and East Sea areas. In particular, China’s pronouncement of a new Air Defence Identification Zone (ADIZ) above the East Sea area in December 2013 raised the ire of its neighbours Korea, Japan, and Taiwan.
KeywordsForeign Affair Territorial Dispute Large Trading Partner United States Trade Permanent Mission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berger, B. (23 August 2013). China’s Troubled Myanmar Policy. Retrieved 27 December 2013, from The Diplomat: http://thediplomat.com/2013/08/chinas-troubled-myanmar-policy/?allpages=yes.
- Billo, A. (Fall 2013). A Way to Peace in the South China Sea. Global Asia, 66–76.Google Scholar
- Billo, A., & Pan, J. (2012). Interwoven Nationalism and Conflict in the South China Sea. Asian Journal of Public Affairs, 14–35.Google Scholar
- Chen, A. (27 January 2014). Chinese-Led International Mission to Explore South China Sea for Oil. Retrieved 2 February 2014, from South China Morning Post: http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1414557/chinese-led-international-mission-explore-south-china-sea-oil.
- Global Times. (15 January 2014). “‘No Containment’ to Be Tested by Time.” Retrieved 15 February 2014, from Global Times: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/842572.shtml#.UwQLK_mSxhE.
- Harris, H. (21 January 2014). Multilateral Ties Driver America’s Pacific Rebalance. The Straits Times, p. A21.Google Scholar
- Hookway, J. (10 June 2011). Tensions Flare over Disputed Asian Sea. Retrieved 2 February 2014, from Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304259304576375203724909870.
- Lyons, Y., & Davenport, T. (2012). South China Sea: Limits to Commercial Fishing by Claimants. Singapore: RSIS.Google Scholar
- McClain, P. (2002). Settling the Score with Saddam: Resolution 1441 and Parallel Justifications for the Use of Force Against Iraq. Duke Journal of Comparitive and International Law, 233–291.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. (8 February 2014). Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hong Lei’s Remarks on Comments by the United States State Department Official on the South China Sea. Retrieved 10 February 2014, from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/xwfw/s2510/t1127014.shtml.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. (10 January 2014). Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying’s Regular Press Conference on 10 January 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2014, from Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China: http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/eng/xwfw/s2510/t1117700.shtml.Google Scholar
- Monaghan, A. (2 February 2014). Fragile Economies under Pressure as Recovery Prompts Capital Flight. Retrieved 10 February 2014, from The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/feb/02/emerging-markets-brazil-indonesia-south-africa.
- Nguyen, T. D. (1 June 2013). Building Strategic Trust for Peace, Cooperation, and Prosperity in the Asia-Pacific Region. Retrieved 27 December 2013, from International Institute for Strategic Studies: https://www.iiss.org/en/events/shangri%20la%20dialogue/archive/shangrila-dialogue-2013-c890/opening-remarks-and-keynote-address-2f46/keynote-address-d176.Google Scholar
- Office of the United States Trade Representative. (n.d.). Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). Retrieved 15 February 2014, from Office of the United States Trade Representative: http://www.ustr.gov/countries-regions/southeast-asia-pacific/association-southeast-asian-nations-asean.Google Scholar
- Otto, B., & Brereton-Fukui, N. (6 October 2013). US Seeks to Reassure Trade Partners After Obama Cancels Trip. Retrieved 20 December 2013, from The Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304441404579119133531830864.
- Permanent Mission of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam to the United Nations. (29 January 2014). Permanent Mission of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam to the United Nations. Retrieved 10 February 2014, from Party leader discusses ties with Chinese counterpart: http://www.vietnam-un.org/en/news.php?cid=4&id=197.Google Scholar
- Pomeroy, R. (2008). Small-Scale Marine Fisheries Policy in Vietnam. Marine Policy, 419–428.Google Scholar
- Sutter, R. (31 August 2012). China’s Self-Absorbed Nationalism. Retrieved 27 December 2013, from The Diplomat: http://thediplomat.com/2012/08/chinas-self-absorbed-nationalism/.
- The White House. (2 April 2013). Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Lee of Singapore before Bilateral Meeting. Retrieved 26 September 2013, from The White House: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/04/02/remarks-president-obama-and-prime-minister-lee-singapore-bilateral-meeti.Google Scholar
- The Whitehouse. (15 December 2013). Remarks to the Press by Vice President Joe Biden and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan. Retrieved 26 December 2013, from The Whitehouse: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/12/03/remarks-press-vice-president-joe-biden-and-prime-minister-shinzo-abe-jap.Google Scholar
- Tiankai, C. (16 January 2014). China’s US Ambassador Cui Tiankai. (C. Rose, Interviewer).Google Scholar
- Young, C. (1979). The Politics of Cultural Pluralism. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar