Political convictions are present in the torrent of our emotions, motivating our choices and shaping our values and our beliefs. They reveal our doubts and our contradictions. They bring us toward others and they also separate us from others. They are present in different moments of our affective lives, at times happily and at times unhappily depending on the moment and the context. The demands and expectations of recognition that love supposes are contained within the need for agreement and the ways of dealing with disagreement. The figures of agreement and disagreement described in the preceding chapters provide a framework that in itself is revealing of the issues specific to a relationship based on feelings. These figures were applied to families, couples, and friendships. They have allowed some of the most expressible and obvious principles to be identified, together with the ways in which personal political ideas operate in our affective lives.
KeywordsPrivate Life Affective Relationship Preceding Chapter Mirror Stage Affective Life
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.François de Singly, Le Soi, le Couple et la Famille (Paris: Nathan, 1996)Google Scholar
- or Jean-Claude Kaufmann, La Trame Conjugale: Une analyse du Couple par son Linge (Paris: Nathan, 1992).Google Scholar
- 2.Pierre Rosanvallon, Le Peuple Lntrouvable. Histoire de la Représentation démocratique en France (Paris: Gallimard, 1998)Google Scholar
- Pascal Perrineau (ed.), Le Désenchantement démocratique (Paris: Editions de l’Aube, 2003).Google Scholar
- 3.Paul Ricoeur, Soi-même, Comme un autre (Paris: Le Seuil, “Points Essais” series, 1996).Google Scholar
- 5.Michel Wievorka, La Différence (Paris: Balland, 2001).Google Scholar
- 6.Alexis de Tocqueville, The Old Regime and the Revolution (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, c1998–)Google Scholar
- 8.Serge Chaumier, La déliaison amoureuse (Paris: PUF, 1999), p. 9.Google Scholar
- 9.Chantal Jaquet, Le Désir (Paris: Quintette, 1996).Google Scholar
- 10.Michel Schneider, Big Mother. Pschyopathologie de la Vie Politique (Paris: Odile Jacob, 2002), p. 158.Google Scholar
- 11.Marcel Gauchet, La Condition Politique (Paris: Gallimard, 2006), p. 449.Google Scholar