The Impact of Economic Cooperation on Asian Countries: Focus on the Mekong Region and Central Asia
In recent years, China has been rapidly increasing its economic ties with other developing Asian countries through trade and economic cooperation.2 With the neighbouring countries in the continent, it is taking advantage of the bilateral and regional frameworks of economic cooperation by building cross-border transport infrastructure, such as roads and railways, oil and natural gas pipelines, and power transmission lines, to boost connectivity and thereby deepen economic relations (see Map 8.1). This chapter discusses the impact of China’s economic cooperation on Asian countries, with a focus on the Mekong region and Central Asia, where it has a framework of regional economic cooperation.
KeywordsForeign Direct Investment Gross Domestic Product Asian Development Bank Central Asian Country Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- International Monetary Fund : Direction of Trade Statistics Yearbook, 2011.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund : Myanmar: Staff Report for the 2011 Article IV Consultation (IMF Country Report No. 12/104).Google Scholar
- Kitano, Naohiro : China’s External Economic Cooperation: Ties to the Mekong Region. Nippon.com, The Nippon Communications Foundation. http://www.nippon.com/en/tag/kitano-naohiro/
- Ministry of Commerce, National Bureau of Statistics, State Administration of Foreign Exchange of the People’s Republic of China : 2010 Statistical Bulletin of China’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment.Google Scholar
- The State Council Information Office of the People’s Republic of China : China’s Foreign Aid, People’s Publishing House. http://english.gov.cn/official/2011-04/21/content_1849913.htm
- World Bank : World Development Indicators, 2012. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator.
- ASEAN-Japan Centre : ASEAN-JAPAN Statistics 2011. http://www.asean.or.jp/en/asean/know/statistics/Latest_Statistics.html.
- Furuhata, Tetsuya : Chuo Asia: Chugoku Muke no Gasu Shukka Kakudai o Mokuromu Chuo Asia Shokoku [Central Asia: Central Asian countries in pursuit of increasing gas deliveries to China]. http://oilgas-info.jogmec.go.jp/pdf/4/4458/1108_out_f_Central_Asia_To_China_revised.pdf.
- Kitano, Naohiro : “Shinka-suru Chuo Asia tono Kankei” [Deepening relationships with Central Asia]. In Sekai ga Kaeru Sekai Chitsujo [China remakes the world order], edited by Kwan, Chi Hung, Jianrong Zhu, Japan Center for Economic Research, et al. Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Hyoronsha.Google Scholar
- The Editorial Board of China Commerce Yearbook : China Commerce Yearbook 2011, China Commerce and Trade Press.Google Scholar
- The Government of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region : Outline of the 12th Five-Year Plan for the National Economy and Social Development of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Regionhttp://www.gxdrc.gov.cn/fzgggz/fzgh/gzjl_39778/201207/t20120711_441231.htm
- The Government of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region : Outline of the 12th Five-Year Plan for the Region National Economy and Social Development of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region. http://www.xjdrc.gov.cn/content.jsp?urltype=news.NewsContentUrl&wbtreeid=11296&wbnewsid=201299
- The Government of Yunnan Province : Outline of the 12th Five-Year Plan for the Region National Economy and Social Development of Yunnan Provincehttp://xxgk.yn.gov.cn/uploadfile/document/20110704091435163.pdf
- Ministry of Railways of the People’s Republic of China : Medium-and Long-Term Railway Network Plan (Revised in 2008). http://jtyss.ndrc.gov.cn/fzgh/W020090605632915547512.pdf
- National Development and Reform Commission, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Science and Technology of the People’s Republic of China : Country Report on China’s Participation in Greater Mekong Subregion Cooperation. http://www.gov.cn/jrzg/2011-12/17/content_2022602.htm (English version: http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-12/16/content_14279772.htm)
- People’s Republic of China : Outline of the 12th Five-Year Plan for the Region National Economy and Social Development of the People’s Republic of Chinahttp://www.ndrc.gov.cn/fzgh/ghwb/gjjh/P020110919592208575015.pdf http://cbi.typepad.com/china_direct/2011/05/chinas-twelfth-five-new-plan-the-full-english-version.html (English translation prepared by the Delegation of the European Union in China)
- Wu, Yuanfu : Features and Trends of China’s Trade with and Investment in Vietnamhttp://www.vietlaw.cn/doc/zl/.htm
- Zhao, Zigao (2012) A Lost Situation: Misong Power Station, Energy Magazine, 6, 2012, http://finance.sina.com.cn/chanjing/sdbd/20120605/153312227965. shtml