Sea Power, Law of the Sea, and a Sino-Japanese East China Sea “Resource War”
Another dimension to the current Sino-Japanese conflict is the contest for the vast seabed oil and gas resources in the East China Sea as well as for the control of the sea’s access. This in turn accounts for the impasse over the conflicting interpretations of the modern law of the sea and, ultimately, exacerbates the parties’ contention for sea power. Because sea power provides the larger context for the Sino-Japanese East China Sea disputes, a few words are in order for its rising importance in the new century.
KeywordsOkinawa Trough Exclusive Economic Zone Arbitral Tribunal Maritime Boundary Chinese Side
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Couhat, Jean Labayle, ed. 1988. Combat fleets of the world, 1986–1987. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press.Google Scholar
- Gao, Xinto. 2005. The complex implications of the activities of Chinese submarines in and out of the Pacific, Zhongguo Pinglun [China Review] (Hong Kong), (February): 27–29.Google Scholar
- Gertz, Bill. 2005. China builds up strategic sea lanes, Washington Times, January 1, 2005. http://www.washtimes.com/national/205017–150-1929r.htm.
- Gilpin, Robert. 1975. U.S. power and multilateral corporations. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Grove, Eric. 1990. The future of sea power. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press.Google Scholar
- Inoue, Kitoshi. 1972. Sekaku retto no rekishi to kizoku mondai [The history of and title to Senkaku]. Rekishi Kenkyu (Historial Studies), no. 381 (January).Google Scholar
- Ji, Guoxing. 1995. Maritime jurisdiction in the three China seas: Options for equitable settlement. University of California Institute of Global Conflict & Cooperation Working Papers, October. http://www.ciaonet.org/wps/guj01/.
- Keohane, Robert, and Joseph Nye. 1977. Power and interdependence. Boston: Little, Brown.Google Scholar
- Knorr, Klaus. 1973. Power and wealth: The political economy of international power. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Lauterpacht, Sir Hersch. 1933. The function of law in the international community. London: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Ma, Ying-jeou. 1982. Legal problems of seabed boundary delimitation in the East China Sea. Occasional Papers in Contemporary Asian Studies, University of Maryland School Of Law.Google Scholar
- Murata, Tadayoshi. 2004. Senkaku retto sogi [The disputes over the Senkakus]. Tokyo: KyohoshaGoogle Scholar
- Ngee, Major Tan Wee. 2000. Maritime strategy in the post–cold war Era, Journal of Singaporean Armed Forces 26 (1): 1–12.Google Scholar
- Qi, Yunpeng. 2004. “Sea access and China’s rise. Zhongguo Pinglun [China Review] (Hong Kong) (September): 10–14.Google Scholar
- Till, Geoffrey. 2003. Seapower: A guide for the twenty-first century. Portland, OR: Frank Cass.Google Scholar
- Tucker, Robert W. 1977. The inequality of states. London: Robertson.Google Scholar
- Valencia, Mark. 1989. Northeast Asia: Petroleum potential, jurisdictional claims, and international relations, Ocean Development and International Law 20.Google Scholar
- —1989. There are factors at work that could improve East China Sea dispute. In Alexander’s gas and oil connections: News and trends East & SE Asia. http://www.gasandoil.com/goch/news/nets51087.htm.