Japan’s Military Modernization: The Chinese Perspective
In 2005 the Japanese government reacted with surprise and bewilderment to news stories depicting angry Chinese mobs attacking Japaneseowned firms and businesses. Tokyo also appeared perplexed and confused by Beijing’s tepid response to the disturbances. These events were symptomatic of the fact that, despite an explosion in economic ties, relations between the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Japan are at their worst in decades.
KeywordsSecurity Council Self Defense Force Missile Defense Taiwan Issue Yasukuni Shrine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.See Dennis Hickey, The Armies of East Asia, 44–45.Google Scholar
- 4.See Patrick Goodenough, “China Unhappy about Japan’s More Assertive Approach,” CNSNews.Com, December 14, 2004. http://www.cnsnews.com.
- 6.See Christopher W. Hughes, “Japanese Military Modernization: In Search of a ‘Normal Security Role,’” in Strategic Asia, 2005–2006: Military Modernization in an Era of Uncertainty, ed. Ashley J. Tellis and Michael Wills (Seattle: National Bureau of Asian Research, 2005), 121.Google Scholar
- 8.See “Interview with Ground Staff Office Chief of Staff Tsutomu Mori,” Japan Defense Focus 2 (July 2002): 4. http://www.jda.go.jp/e/index_.htm.
- 10.See Kiyotani, Naok, “From ‘JSDF in Being’ to ‘JSDF in Action,’” Military Technology 28, no. 9 (September 2004): 10.Google Scholar
- 11.See Xiaoliang Pan, “Ri Ben Zi Wei Jun Jiang Xiang He Chu Qu?” Xinhua News, December 17, 2004. http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2004–12/17/content_2347866.htm.
- 12.See Xiaoying Yan, “Ri Ben Zi Wei Dui Xuan Cheng Yao Da Gui Mo Cai Jun,” China Youth Daily, August 6, 2004. http://news.xinhuanet.com/mil/2004–08/06/content_1722717.htm.
- 13.See Col C. Langton, ed., The Military Balance 2004–2005 (London: Oxford University Press, 2004), 176.Google Scholar
- 14.See Yafei Guo, “Ri Ben Zi Wei Dui Yi Pie,” China Daily, November 5, 2005. http://world.people.com.cn/GB/1030/3830577.html.
- 19.See National Institute for Defense Studies, Asian Strategic Review 2006 (Tokyo: National Institute for Defense Studies, 2006), 249. http://www.nids.go.jp/english/dissemination/east-asian/e2006.html.
- 21.See Yuejiang Wei, and Xin Liu, “Ri Ben Hai Shang Zi Wei Dui Ye Xin Bo Bo,” People’s News, December 16, 2003. http://www.china.com.cn/chinese/junshi/462188.htm.
- 22.See Fang, “Ri Xin Fang Wei Zheng Ce Jiang Zi Wei Dui Jian She Fang Xiang Gai Bian Wei Guo Jia Zhan Lue Fu Wu,” PLA Daily Newspaper, January 13, 2004. http://www.china.com.cn/chinese/junshi/478869.htm.
- 23.See Tanter, Richard, “The MSDF Indian Ocean Deployment—Blue Water Militarization in a ‘Normal Country,’” Policy Forum Online 25A (April 4, 2006). http://www.nautilus.org/fora/security/0625Tanter.html.
- 26.See James Kitfield, “Dragon, Eagle, and Rising Sun,” Air Force Magazine 88, no. 6 (June 2005): 66.Google Scholar
- 28.See “U.S. Asks Japan to Expand ASDF Mission in Iraq Early,” Jiji Press Ticker Service, May 3, 2006.Google Scholar
- 29.Norimitsu Omishi, “A Dilemma for U.S. in East Asian Relations,” International Herald Tribune, June 26, 2006, p. 4.Google Scholar
- 31.Japan’s use of biased textbooks is a longstanding source of tension between Tokyo and its neighbors. For more information on the background of the dispute, see Myon-woo Lee, “Textbook Conflicts and Korea-Japan Relations,” The Journal of East Asian Affairs 15, no. 2 (Fall/Winter 2001): 421–46.Google Scholar
- 32.See Junqing Ma, “Xinhuashiping: Chu Li Taiwan Wen Ti Gui Zai Xin Shou Cheng Nuo,” Xinhua News, May 1, 2005. http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2005–05/01/content_2902868.htm.
- 34.Chalmers Johnson, “No Longer the ‘Lone’ Superpower: Coming to Terms with China,” Japan Policy Research Institute Working Paper, no. 105 (March 2005). http://www.jpri.org.
- 35.See Ching Cheong, “U.S. Taiwan Policy Set 31 Years Ago,” Straits Times, December 20, 2003.Google Scholar
- 36.For more information, see Norimitsu Onishi, “Japanese Remarks about Taiwan Anger Beijing,” New York Times, February 6, 2006, p. A6.Google Scholar
- 37.See “Tokyo Governor Repeats Remarks on Japan’s Annexation of Korea,” Kyodo News Service, in BBC Monitoring Asia Pacific, October 31, 2003.Google Scholar
- 38.See Hiroko Tabuchi, “Japan Scrambled Jets 107 Times This Year to Intercept Chinese Spy Planes, General Says,” Associated Press, April 20, 2006.Google Scholar
- 39.See Jun Pei, “Ri Ben Gong Bu 2004 Fang Wei Yu Suan,” China Youth Daily, September 2, 2003. http://www.china.com.cn/military/zhuanti/hpxf/txt/2003–09/02/content_5396030.htm.
- 40.“China Military Leader Shrugs Off Japan Lawmaker’s Objection,” Jiji Press Ticker Service, December 12, 2005.Google Scholar
- 41.Dr. Dennis Hickey’s interview with Senior Colonel Guo Xinning, Research Fellow, Institute for Strategic Studies, National Defense University, People’s Liberation Army, Beijing, China, June 12, 2006.Google Scholar
- 47.See “A Giant Stirs.”Google Scholar
- 48.Norimitsu Onishi, Tokyo Protests Anti-Japan Rallies in China, New York Times, April 10, 2005, p. 8.Google Scholar
- 49.Dr. Dennis Hickey’s interview with Dr. Jin Xi-De, Professor, Institute of Japanese Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, China, June 8, 2006.Google Scholar
- 52.Alexander George, Presidential Decisionmaking in Foreign Policy: The Effective Use of Information and Advice (Boulder, CO: Westview, 1989), 57.Google Scholar
- 53.Robert Jervis, “Hypotheses on Misperception,” World Politics 20, no. 3 (April 1968): 454.Google Scholar
- 54.Norimitsu Omishi, “A Dilemma for U.S. in East Asian Relations,” International Herald Tribune, June 26, 2006, 1.Google Scholar
- 56.Shaohua Hu, “Why the Chinese Are So Anti-Japanese,” Japan Policy Research Institute Critique 13, no. 1 (January 2006). http://www.jpri.org/publications/critiques/critique_XIII_1.html.
- 59.Deborah Cameron, “Asian Leaders Fear Japan-China Arms Race,” Reuters, May 26, 2006 in Taiwan Security Research. http://www.taiwansecurity.org/Reu/2006/Reuters-260506–0.htm.