Becoming a Writer: Community Membership and Discursive Literacy
What does it mean for English Language teachers to write for publication? What difference does it make to how they see themselves and are seen by others, to the contribution they make to the profession? This chapter is in the section of the book entitled Passing on the Knowledg.; this, then, is part of what language teachers do when they write. In this chapter I aim to explore in more detail both what is involved and what it feels like to people beginning to take on this role.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chouliaraki, L. and Fairclough, N. 1999. Discourse in Late Modernit.. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Edge, J. and Wharton, S. 2002. ‘Genre teaching: The struggle for diversity in unity. In K. Miller and P. Thompson (eds), Unity and Diversity in Language Us.. London: BAAL/Continuum, pp. 22–38.Google Scholar
- Frow, J. 1998. ‘Economies of value’. In D. Bennett (ed), Multicultural States: Rethinking Difference and Identit.. London: Routledge, pp. 53–68.Google Scholar
- Graves, K. (ed.) 1996. Teachers as Course Developer.. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Harre, R. 1983. Personal Bein.. Oxford: Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Hoey, M. 1983. On the Surface of Discours.. London: George Allen Unwin.Google Scholar
- Hoey, M. 2001. Textual Interaction: An Introduction to Written Discourse Analysi.. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Hyland, K. 2000. Disciplinary Discourses: Social Interactions in Academic Writin.. London: Longman.Google Scholar
- Pring, R. 2000. Philosophy of Educational Researc.. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Wharton, S. 1999. ‘From postgraduate student to published writer: Discourse variation and development in TESOL’. Unpublished PhD thesis. Aston University, UK.Google Scholar
- Wharton, S. 2002. ‘Writing from a context: Course assignments and professional development’. In M. Graal (ed.), Changing Contexts for Teaching and Learning: Selected Papers of the 8th Annual Writing Development in Higher Education Conferenc.. Leicester: University of Leicester, pp. 153–68.Google Scholar
- Widdowson, H. (ed.). 2003. Defining Issues in English Language Teachin.. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar