Mauritius was discovered by the Portuguese between 1507 and 1512. But the Dutch were the first settlers who named it after their stadtholder, Count Maurice. The British occupied the island in 1810 and it was formally ceded to Great Britain by the Treaty of Paris, 1814. Independence was attained within the Commonwealth on 12 March 1968. Mauritius became a republic on 12 March 1992.
KeywordsForeign Exchange Reserve Outer Island Annual Population Growth Rate Mobile Phone Subscriber Lease Company
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Central Statistical Information Office. Bi-annual Digest of Statistics. Google Scholar
- Bennett, Pamela R., Mauritius. [Bibliography] ABC-Clio, Oxford and Santa Barbara (CA), 1992Google Scholar
- Bowman, L. W., Mauritius: Democracy and Development in the Indian Ocean. Aldershot, 1991Google Scholar
- National statistical office: Central Statistics Office, LIC Building, President John Kennedy Street, Port Louis.Google Scholar
- Website: http://ncb.intnet.mu/cso.htm