Advertisement

Equatorial Guinea

República de Guinea Ecuatorial
  • Barry Turner
Chapter
Part of the The Statesman’s Yearbook book series (SYBK)

Abstract

Equatorial Guinea consists of the island of Bioko, for centuries called Fernando Po; other smaller islands and the mainland territory of Rio Muni. Fernando Po was named after the Portuguese navigator Fernão do Po. The island was then ruled for three centuries by Portugal until 1778 when it was ceded to Spain. For some decades after taking possession of Fernando Po, Spain did not effectively occupy it and allowed Britain to establish a naval base at Clarence (later Santa Isabel), which was important for the suppression of slave trading over a wide area. Spain asserted its rule from the 1840s. On Fernando Po the Spanish grew cocoa on European-owned plantations using imported African labour. This traffic led to an international scandal in 1930 when Liberians were found to be held in virtual slavery. Later many Nigerians were employed, often in poor conditions.

Keywords

Opposition Parti Naval Base Franc Zone African Labour Chief Town 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Further Reading

  1. Fegley, Randall, Equatorial Guinea, an African Tragedy. New York, 1989Google Scholar
  2. Liniger-Goumaz, M., Guinea Ecuatorial: Bibliografía General. Geneva, 1974–91Google Scholar
  3. Molino, A. M. del, La Ciudad de Clarence. Madrid, 1994Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Macmillan Publishers Limited 2003

Authors and Affiliations

  • Barry Turner

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations