Key Historical Events. The Republic of Uruguay, formerly a part of the Spanish Viceroyalty of Río de la Plata and subsequently a province of Brazil, declared its independence 25 Aug. 1825 which was recognized by the treaty between Argentina and Brazil signed at Rio de Janeiro 27 Aug. 1828. The first constitution was adopted 18 July 1830.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Finch, H., Uruguay: [Bibliography]. Oxford and Santa Barbara (CA), 1989Google Scholar
- González, L. E., Political Structures and Democracy in Uruguay. Univ. of Notre Dame Press, 1992Google Scholar
- Sosnowski, S. (ed.) Repression, Exile and Democracy: Uruguayan Culture. Duke Univ. Press, 1993Google Scholar
- Weinstein, M., Uruguay: Democracy at the Crossroads. Boulder (CO), 1988Google Scholar
- National library: Biblioteca Nacional del Uruguay, Guayabo 1793, Montevideo.Google Scholar