HISTORY. The Principality of Liechtenstein, situated between the Austrian province of Vorarlberg and the Swiss cantons of St Gallen and Graubünden, is a sovereign state whose history dates back to 3 May 1342, when Count Hartmann III became ruler of the county of Vaduz. Additions were later made to the count’s domains, and by 1434 the territory reached its present boundaries. It consists of the two former counties of Schellenberg and Vaduz (until 1806 immediate fiefs of the Roman Empire). The former in 1699 and the latter in 1712 came into the possession of the house of Liechtenstein and, by diploma of 23 Jan. 1719, granted by the Emperor Charles VI, the two counties were constituted as the Principality of Liechtenstein.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Statistical Information. Amt für Volkswirtschaft, Vaduz.Google Scholar
- Rechenschaftsbericht der Fürstlichen Regierung. Vaduz. Annual, from 1922Google Scholar
- Jahrbuch des Historischen Vereins. Vaduz. Annual since 1901Google Scholar
- Batliner, E. H., Das Geld- und Kreditwesen des Fürstentums Liechtenstein in Vergangenheit und Gegenwart. 1959Google Scholar
- Green, B., Valley of Peace. Vaduz, 1967Google Scholar
- Larke, T. A. T., Index and Thesaurus of Liechtenstein. 2nd ed. Berkeley, 1984Google Scholar
- Malin, G., Kunstführer Fürstentum Liechtenstein. Berne, 1977Google Scholar
- Raton, P., Liechtenstein: History and Institutions of the Principality. Vaduz, 1970Google Scholar
- Seger, O., A Survey of Liechtenstein History. 4th English ed. Vaduz, 1984Google Scholar
- Steger, G., Fürst und Landtag nach Liechtensteinischem Recht. Vaduz, 1950Google Scholar