Tunisia was a French protectorate from 1883 and achieved independence on 20 March 1956. The Constituent Assembly, elected on 25 March 1956, abolished the monarchy (of the Bey of Tunis) on 25 July 1957 and proclaimed a republic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Statistical Information: Institut National de la Statistique (27 Rue de Liban, Tunis) was set up in 1947. Its main publications are: Annuaire statistique de la Tunisie (latest issue, 1975).Google Scholar
- Findlay, Allan M., Findlay, A. M. and Lawlessn R. I., Tunisia. [Bibliography] Oxford and Santa Barbara, 1982Google Scholar
- Ling, D. L., Tunisia: From Protectorate to Republic. Indiana Univ. Press, 1967Google Scholar
- Rudebeck, L., The Tunisian Experience: Party and People. London, 1970Google Scholar
- Salem, N., Habib Bourguiba, Islam and the Creation of Tunisia. London, 1984Google Scholar
- Tomkinson, M., Tunisia: A Holiday Guide. London and Hammamet, 1984Google Scholar