British Virgin Islands
HISTORY. The Virgin Islands were discovered by Colombus on his second voyage in 1493. The British Virgin Islands were first settled by the Dutch in 1648 and taken over in 1666 by a group of English planters. In 1774 constitutional government was granted and in 1834 slavery was abolished.
Books of Reference
- Dookhan, I., A History of the British Virgin Islands. Epping, 1975Google Scholar
- Elkan, W., and Morley, R., Employment in a Tourist Economy, British Virgin Islands. London, 1971.Google Scholar
- Harrigan, N., and Varlack, P., British Virgin Islands: A Chronology. London, 1971.Google Scholar
- Pickering, V.W., Early History of the British Virgin Islands. London, 1983.Google Scholar
- Library: Public Library, Road Town. Librarian: Mrs Verna Penn-Moll, MLS, ALA.Google Scholar