HISTORY. The island was discovered by Capt. Fearn in 1798, annexed by Germany in Oct. 1888, and surrendered to the Australian forces in 1914. It was administered under a mandate, effective from 17 Dec. 1920, conferred on the British Empire and approved by the League of Nations until 1 Nov. 1947, when the United Nations General Assembly approved a trusteeship agreement with the governments of Australia, New Zealand and UK as joint administering authority. Independence was gained in 1968.
Books of Reference
- Text of Trusteeship Agreement. (Cmd. 7290; Treaty Series No. 89, 1947)Google Scholar
- Packett, C. N., Guide to the Republic of Nauru. Bradford, 1970Google Scholar
- Pittman, G. A., Nauru, the Phosphate Island. London, 1959Google Scholar
- Viviani, N., Phosphate and Political Progress. Canberra, 1970Google Scholar