For the history of Syria from 1920 to 1946 see The Statesman’s Year-Book, 1957, pp. 1408 f. Complete independence was achieved on 12 Apr. 1946. Syria merged with Egypt to form the United Arab Republic from 2 Feb. 1958 until 29 Sept. 1961, when independence was resumed following a coup the previous day. Lieut-Gen. Hafez al-Assad became Prime Minister following the fifth coup of that decade on 13 Nov. 1970, and assumed the Presidency on 22 Feb. 1971.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Abd-Allah, U. F., The Islamic Struggle in Syria. Berkeley, 1983Google Scholar
- Barthélemy, A., Dictionnaire arabe-français. Dialectes de Syrie. 4 vols. Paris, 1935–50Google Scholar
- Devlin, J. F., Syria: Modern State in an Ancient Land. Boulder, 1983Google Scholar
- Hourani, A. H., Syria and Lebanon. 2nd ed. R. Inst. of Int. Affairs, 1954Google Scholar
- Petran, T., Syria. London. 1972Google Scholar