HISTORY. The Crown Colony of Hong Kong was ceded by China to Great Britain in Jan. 1841; the cession was confirmed by the Treaty of Nanking in Aug. 1842, and the charter bears the date 5 April 1843. Since then Hong Kong has been under British administration, with the exception of the period from 25 Dec. 1941 to 30 Aug. 1945, when it was occupied by the Japanese.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Statistical Information: The Census and Statistics Department is responsible for the preparation and collation of Government statistics. These statistics are published mainly in the Hong Kong Monthly Digest of Statistics which is also available in a collected annual edition. The Department also publishes monthly trade statistics, economic indicators, annual review of overseas trade, etc. Statistical information is also published in the annual reports of Government departments. Hong Kong 1982, and other government publications are available from the Hong Kong Government Publications Centre, GPO Building, Connaught Place, Hong Kong, and the Hong Kong Government Office in London, 6 Grafton Street, London, W1X 3LB.Google Scholar
- The Hong Kong Trade Development Council, Connaught Centre, Connaught Place. Hong Kong, issues a monthly Hong Kong Enterprise and other publications.Google Scholar
- Hong Kong 1982. Hong Kong Government Press, 1982Google Scholar
- Hong Kong Bibliography. Hong Kong Government Press, 1965Google Scholar
- Beazer, W. F., The Commercial Future of Hong Kong. New York, 1978Google Scholar
- Endacott, G. B., A History of Hong Kong. 2nd ed. OUP, 1973.-Government and People in Hong Kong, 1841–1962. A Constitutional History. OUP, 1965Google Scholar
- Hopkins, K., Hong Kong: The Industrial Colony. OUP, 1971Google Scholar
- Miners, N., The Government and Politics of Hong Kong. OUP, 1976Google Scholar
- Rabushka, A., The Changing Face of Hong Kong: New Departures in Public Policy. Washington, 1973Google Scholar
- Tregear, E. R., Land Use in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Univ. Press, 1958.—Hong Kong Gazetteer. Hong Kong Univ. Press, 1958.—The Development of Hong Kong as Told in Maps. Hong Kong Univ. Press, 1959Google Scholar