HISTORY. Madagascar was discovered by the Portuguese, Diego Diaz, in 1500. The island was unified under the Imérina monarchy between 1797 and 1861, but French claims to a protectorate led to hostilities culminating in the establishment of a protectorate on 30 Sept. 1895. The monarchy was abolished and Madagascar became a French Colony on 6 Aug. 1896.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Bulletin de l’Académie Malgache (from 1902)Google Scholar
- Brown, M., Madagascar Rediscovered. London, 1978Google Scholar
- Deschamps, H., Histoire de Madagascar. Paris, 1960Google Scholar
- Heseltine, N., Madagascar. London and New York, 1971Google Scholar
- Thompson, V., and Adloff, R., The Malagasy Republic. Stanford Univ. Press, 1965Google Scholar