HISTORY. The Vice-royalty of New Granada gained its independence of Spain in 1819, and was officially constituted 17 Dec. 1819, together with the present territories of Panama, Venezuela and Ecuador, as the state of ‘Greater Colombia’, which continued for about 12 years. It then split up into Venezuela, Ecuador and the republic of New Granada in 1830. The constitution of 22 May 1858 changed New Granada into a confederation of 8 states, under the name of Confederaciôn Granadina. Under the constitution of 8 May 1863 the country was renamed ‘Esta-dos Unidos de Colombia’, which were 9 in number. The revolution of 1885 led the National Council of Bogotá, composed of 2 delegates from each state, to promulgate the constitution of 5 Aug. 1886, forming the Republic of Colombia, which abolished the sovereignty of the states, converting them into departments, with governors appointed by the President ofthe Republic, though they retained some of their old rights, such as the management of their own finances. A decree of May 1928 abolished their right to borrow abroad without the sanction ofthe central government.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Anuario General de Estadística de Colombia. Bogotá. AnnualGoogle Scholar
- A nuario de Comercio Exterior de Colombia. AnnualGoogle Scholar
- Anuario Estadislico Bogotá D. E. AnnualGoogle Scholar
- Boletin Mensual de Estadistica. MonthlyGoogle Scholar
- Economia y Estadistica. OccasionalGoogle Scholar
- Informe Financiero del Contralor General. AnnualGoogle Scholar
- Informe del Gerente de la Caja de Crédito Agrario, Industrial y Minero. AnnualGoogle Scholar
- Memorias (13) de los Ministros al Congreso Nacional. AnnualGoogle Scholar
- Charry Lara, Alberto, Desarrollo histórico de la Estadística nacional en Colombia. Nat. Dept. of Statistics, Bogota, 1954.Google Scholar
- —Elpaís en cifras. 1964Google Scholar
- Lebret, R. P. L. J., Estudio sobre las condiciones dei desarrollo de Colombia. Informe de un Misión. Bogota, 1960Google Scholar
- McGreevey, W. P., An Economic History of Colombia, 1845–1930. CUP, 1970Google Scholar
- Wuürfel, S. W., Foreign Enterprise in Colombia: Laws and Policies. Univ. of N. Carolina Press, 1965Google Scholar