HISTORY. The Principality of Liechtenstein, situated between the Austrian province of Vorarlberg and the Swiss cantons of St Gallen and Graubünden, is a sovereign state whose history dates back to 3 May 1342, when Count Hartmann III became ruler of the county of Vaduz. Additions were later made to the count’s domains, and by 1434 the territory reached its present boundaries. It consists of the two former counties of Schellenberg and Vaduz (until 1806 immediate fiefs of the Roman Empire). The former in 1699 and the latter in 1712 came into the possession of the house of Liechtenstein and, by diploma of 23 Jan. 1719, granted by the Emperor Charles VI, the two counties were constituted as the Principality of Liechtenstein.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Rechenschaftsbericht tier fürstlichen liechlensteinischen Regierung. Vaduz. Annual, from 1922Google Scholar
- Jahrbucher der Historischen Vereins. Vaduz. Annual since 1900Google Scholar
- The Principality of Liechtenstein. Press and Information Service, Vaduz, 1978Google Scholar
- The Liechtenstein Economy. Press and Information Service, Vaduz, 1978Google Scholar
- Batliner, E. H., Das Geld- und Kreditwesen des Furstentums Liechtenstein. Winterthur, 1959Google Scholar
- d’Havrincourt, H., Liechtenstein. Lausanne, 1964Google Scholar
- Greene, B., Liechtenstein, Valley of Peace. Vaduz, 1967Google Scholar
- Kranz, W., Principality of LiechtensteinGoogle Scholar
- —Documentary Handbook. Vaduz, 1973Google Scholar
- Malin, G., Kunstfuhrer Liechtenstein. Berne, 1977Google Scholar
- Steger, B., Fürst und Landtag nach Liechlensteinischen Rechl. Vaduz, 1950.Google Scholar
- —A Survey of Liechtenstein History. Vaduz. 1970Google Scholar