The Gilbert and Ellice Islands were proclaimed a protectorate in 1892 and annexed (at the request of the native governments) as the Gilbert and Ellice Islands Colony on 10 Nov. 1915 (effective on 12 Jan. 1916). On 1 Oct. 1975 the former Ellice Islands severed its constitutional links with the Gilbert Islands and took a new name Tuvalu.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Report on the Gilbert and Ellice Islands, 1970. HMSO, 1971Google Scholar
- Grimble, Sir Arthur, A Pattern of Islands. London, 1953.Google Scholar
- —Return to the Islands. London, 1957Google Scholar
- Kennedy, D. O., Handbook of the Languages of the Ellice Islands. Suva, 1945Google Scholar
- Maude, H. E., Of Islands and Men. London, 1968Google Scholar