St Helena, of volcanic origin, is 1,200 miles from the west coast of Africa. Area, 47 sq. miles (121·7 sq. km), with a cultivable area of about 600 acres (243 hectares). The port of the island is Jamestown. Population (1977), 5,216. Births, 105; deaths, 54; marriages, 36.
Books of Reference
- Annual Report, 1970–73. HMSOGoogle Scholar
- Blakeston, O., Isle of St Helena. London, 1957Google Scholar
- Booy, D. M., Rock of Exile: A Narrative of Tristan da Cunha. London, 1957Google Scholar
- Holdgate, M., Mountains in the Sea. London, 1958Google Scholar
- Munch, P. A., Sociology of Tristan da Cunha. Oslo, 1945Google Scholar
- Stonehouse, B., Wideawake Island [Ascension]. London, 1960Google Scholar