Prior to Oct. 1923 Southern Rhodesia, like Northern Rhodesia, was under the administration of the British South Africa Company. In Oct. 1922 Southern Rhodesia voted in favour of responsible government. On 12 Sept. 1923 the country was formally annexed to His Majesty’s Dominions, and on 1 Oct. 1923 government was established under a governor, assisted by an executive council, and a legislature, with the status of a self-governing colony.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- statistical information. The Central Statistical Office, PO Box 8063, Causeway, Salisbury, Rhodesia, originated in 1927 as the Southern Rhodesian Government Statistical Bureau. Ten years later its name was changed to Department of Statistics, and in 1948 it assumed its present title when it took over responsibility for certain Northern Rhodesian and Nyasaland statistics (which it relinquished in Dec. 1963 on the dissolution of the Federation). It publishes Monthly Digest of Statistics. Google Scholar
- Rhodesia: Documents Relating to Proposals for a Settlement, 1966. (Cmd. 171) HMSO, 1966Google Scholar
- Bowman, L. W., Politics in Rhodesia: White Power in an African State. OUP, 1974Google Scholar
- Cann, L. H., A History of Southern Rhodesia to 1934. London, 1965Google Scholar
- Gray, R., and Gehand L. H., Huggins of Rhodesia. London, 1964Google Scholar
- Hanna, A. J., The Story of the Rhodesias and Nyasaland. 2nd ed. London, 1965Google Scholar
- Howarth, D., The Shadow of the Dam: The Story of Lake Kariba. London, 1961Google Scholar
- Lardner-Burke, D., Rhodesia: The Story of the Crisis. London, 1966Google Scholar
- Palley C., The Constitutional History and Law of Southern Rhodesia 1888–1965. OUP, 1966Google Scholar
- Rayner W., The Tribe and its Successors: An Account of Traditional Life and European Settlement in Southern Rhodesia. London, 1962Google Scholar
- Wills, A. J., An Introduction to the History of Central Africa. 2nd ed. OUP 1967Google Scholar
- Young, K., Rhodesia and Independence. London, 1969Google Scholar
- reference library. National Archives of Rhodesia. PO Box 8043, Causeway, Salisbury.Google Scholar