Advertisement

Cyprus

Kypriaki Dimokratia—K1br1s Cumhuriyeti
  • John Paxton
Chapter
Part of the The Statesman’s Yearbook book series (SYBK)

Abstract

About the middle of the 2nd millennium b.c. Greek colonies were established in Cyprus and later it formed part of the Persian, Roman and Byzantine empires. In 1193 it became a Frankish kingdom, in 1489 a Venetian dependency and in 1571 was conquered by the Turks. They retained possession of it until its cession to England for administrative purposes under a convention concluded with the Sultan at Constantinople, 4 June 1878. On 5 Nov. 1914 the island was annexed by Great Britain and on 1 May 1925 given the status of a Crown Colony.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Books of Reference

  1. statistical information. Statistics and Research Deparment, Nicosia.Google Scholar
  2. Alastos, D., Cyprus in History. London, 1955.— Cyprus Guerilla. London, 1960Google Scholar
  3. Christodoulou, D., The Evolution of the Sural Land use Pattern in Cyprus. Bude, 1960Google Scholar
  4. Emilianides, A., Histoire de Chypre. Paris, 1962.— The Zurich and London Agreements and the Cyprus Republic. Athens, 1962Google Scholar
  5. Hill, Sir George F., A History of Cyprus. 4 vols. Cambridge, 1940–52Google Scholar
  6. Luke, Sir Harry, Cyprus. Rev. ed. London, 1965Google Scholar
  7. Politis, J. N., Chypre. Paris, 1959Google Scholar
  8. Spyridakis, C., An Outline of the History of Cyprus. Nicosia, 1957Google Scholar
  9. The Directory of the Republic of Cyprus [with Trade Index and Who’s Who]. London, 1962Google Scholar
  10. Vanezis, P. N. Makarios: Faith and Power. New York, 1972Google Scholar
  11. Falkland Islands and DependenciesGoogle Scholar
  12. The Crown Colony is situated in the South Atlantic Ocean about 480 miles north-east of Cape Horn. The numerous islands cover 4,700 sq. miles. The main East Falkland Island, 2,610 sq. miles; the West Falkland, 2,090 sq. miles, including the adjacent small islands. The Dependency of South Georgia lies 800 miles south-east of the Falklands, has an area of 1,450 sq. miles; the South Sandwich group, 470 miles south-east of South Georgia, has an area of 130 sq. miles.Google Scholar
  13. Falkland Islands and Dependencies. Biennial Report : 1970–71. HMSO, 1973Google Scholar
  14. Falkland Islands Journal. Stanley, from 1967Google Scholar
  15. Strange, I. J., The Falkland Islands. Newton Abbot, 1972Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Macmillan Publishers Limited 1975

Authors and Affiliations

  • John Paxton

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations