Malawi, formerly Nyasaland (until 1907 British Central Africa) Protectorate, constituted on 15 May 1891, lies along the southern and western shores of Lake Malawi (the third largest lake in Africa, 11,450 sq. miles, about 360 miles in length and from 10 to 50 miles wide), with the Shire River as outlet to the Zambezi. Malawi, ‘reflected light’ or ‘bright haze’, was in earlier times used to describe an area comprising former Nyasaland and parts of Zambia and of Moçambique.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Clutton-Brook, G., Dawn in Nyasaland. London, 1964Google Scholar
- Debenham. F., Nyasaland. HMSO, 1956Google Scholar
- Gelfand, M., Lakeside Pioneers. Socio-medical study of Nyasaland, 1875–1920. Oxford, 1964Google Scholar
- Jones, G., Britain and Nyasaland. London, 1964Google Scholar
- Mackay, P., Portrait of Malawi. Government Printer, ZombaGoogle Scholar
- Pike and Rimmington, Malawi—a Geographical study. Oxford, 1965Google Scholar
- Bead, F. E., Malawi—Land of Promise. Government Department of Information, 1967Google Scholar
- Wishlade, R. L., Sectarianism in S. Nyasaland. Oxford, 1965Google Scholar