In 1863 Sierra Leone was a crown colony, administered together with the Gold Coast, with an area of about 470 sq. miles and an estimated population of 42,000. Expansion into the interior was beginning. In 1864 S. A. Crow-ther, one of the tutors of Fourah Bay College (since 1845 under African principals), became the first non-European Anglican bishop.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Annual Report on Sierra Leone, 1958. HMSO, 1960Google Scholar
- Atlas of Sierra Leone. Ed. Survey and Lands Dept. Freetown, 1953Google Scholar
- Sierra Leone Studies. Ed. J. D. Hargreaves. Freetown, 1953 ff.Google Scholar
- Fyfe, C., A History of Sierra Leone. OUP, 1962Google Scholar
- Jack, D. T., Economic Survey of Sierra Leone. Government Printer, Freetown, 1958Google Scholar
- Lewis, R., Sierra Leone. HMSO, 1954Google Scholar