In1863 Cyprus was part of the Turkish vilayet of Djizair (’The Islands’). It was administered by a Governor assisted by a Central Council, called the Mejlis, and a number of District Councils. The Central Council was presided over by the Governor and consisted of 9 Turkish officials, the Archbishop and 3 Christian representatives. The District Councils were made up of official and unofficial members, the latter being elected by the people. Village communities had their own local authorities. The population probably numbered 160,000-165,000. The Greek inhabitants were responsible to their political and religious leader, the Ethnarch or Archbishop. Out of a total revenue of £230,000 only £30,000 was spent locally, and the surplus was sent to the treasury in Constantinople.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Statistical Information. Statistics and Research Department, Nicosia.Google Scholar
- Alastos, D., Cyprus in History. London, 1955.Google Scholar
- Alastos, D., Cyprus Guerilla. London, 1960Google Scholar
- Christodoulou, D., The Evolution of the Rural Land use Pattern in Cyprus. Bude, 1960Google Scholar
- Emilianides, A., Histoire de Chypre. Paris, 1962.Google Scholar
- Emilianides, A., The Zurich and London Agreements and the Cyprus Republic. Athens, 1962Google Scholar
- Hill, Sir George F., A History of Cyprus. 4 vols. Cambridge, 1940–52Google Scholar
- Luke, Sir Harry., A Portrait of Cyprus. London, 1959Google Scholar
- Politis, J. N., Chypre. Paris, 1959Google Scholar
- Spyridakis, C., An Outline of the History of Cyprus. Nicosia, 1957Google Scholar
- The Directory of the Republic of Cyprus [with Trade Index and Who’s Who]. London, 1962Google Scholar