On 31 Oct. 1925 the Majles deposed the Shah, Sultan Ahmad, and overthrew the Qajar dynasty. On 13 Dec. the Constituent Assembly elected Reza Khan Pahlavi Shah of Iran. He abdicated and left the country on 16 Sept. 1941 and died in Johannesburg on 26 July 1944. He was succeeded by his son, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi (born 26 Oct. 1919), who was sworn before the Majles on 18 Sept. 1941. On 15 March 1939 the Shah married Princess Fawzieh, eldest sister of King Farouk of Egypt ; they were divorced on 19 Nov. 1948. They have a daughter, Princess Shahnaz, born in 1940, who on 11 Oct. 1957 married Engineer Ardeshir Zahedi, son of the former Prime Minister Gen. Zahedi. On 12 Feb. 1951 the Shah married Miss Soraya Esfandiari Bakhtiari; they were divorced on 14 March 1958.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Books of Reference
- Statistical Information. The principal statistical agencies of the Government are: (1) Department of Census, Civil Registration, and Statistics (Ministry of the Interior). Director-General: Sa’id Sami’i. Publications on demographical statistics, in Persian. (2) Publicity and Information Department of the Seven-year Plan Organization. Director: Abul Hasan Ehteshami. Publications on industry, labour, agriculture, in English and Persian. (3) Statistical and Economic Research Department of the Bank Melli Iran. Publishes Monthly Bulletin, in English and Persian. (4) Customs Department (Ministry of Finance), publishes monthly and annual reports, in French and Persian. (5) and (6) Ministry of Labour and Ministry of Industry and Mines, publish statistical year-books.Google Scholar
- Arberry, A. J. (ed.), The Legacy of Persia. Oxford Univ. Press, 1953Google Scholar
- Curzon, G. N. (later Lord), Persia and the Persian Question. London, 1892Google Scholar
- Lambton, A. K. S., Landlord and Peasant in Persia. Oxford Univ. Press, 1953.—Persian Vocabulary. Cambridge Univ. Press, 1954Google Scholar
- Lenczowski, George, Russia and the West in Iran. Cornell Univ., 1948; supplement, 1954Google Scholar
- Malek-Mahdavi, Ahmed, Le Parlement Iranien. Univ. of Neuchatel, 1954Google Scholar
- Rajput, A. B., Iran To-day. 3rd ed. Lahore, 1953Google Scholar
- Steinglass, F. J., A Comprehensive Persian-English Dictionary. 2nd ed. London, 1930Google Scholar
- Sykes, Sir Percy M., A History of Persia. 2 vols. 3rd ed. London, 1930Google Scholar
- Vreeland, H. H. (ed.), Iran. New Haven, Conn., 1957Google Scholar