In November, 1922, a change of capital importance took place in the internal economy of Turkey. Up to that time Constantinople (now called Istanbul) continued to be the residence of the Sultan, and a Government deriving its authority from him still existed there. This Government, however, exerted no effective power outside Constantinople, together with a small adjacent area and another small area adjoining Çanakkale on the Dardanelles. Except for the small areas mentioned above, the whole of Asia Minor was under the authority of the de facto Government set up at Angora (now called Ankara) in April, 1920, under the name of the ‘Government of the Grand National Assembly of Turkey.’
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.