The Rock of Gibraltar is a Crown colony, situated in 36 6 N. latitude and 5 21 W. longitude, in the Province of Andalusia, in Spain, commanding the entrance to the Mediterranean. The Governor, who is also Commander-in-Chief, exercises all the functions of government and legislation. Area, 1 7 8 square mile; greatest elevation, 1,396 feet. Population, including port and harbour (census 1911), civil, 19,586 (9,228 males, and 10,358 females); military, 5,340 (4,476 males, and 864 females); naval, 441; total, 25,367 (14,145 males, and 11,222 females). Estimated fixed civil population, January 1, 1920, 16,040 (7,791 males, and 8,249 females). In addition there were at that date about 1,733 aliens. The settled population are mostly descendants of Spanish and Italian settlers. Civil population births (1919), 398; marriages, 18.5; deaths, 318. Average births per 1,000 of fixed civil population, 24.81; deaths, 19.82. Religion of fixed population mostly Roman Catholic; one Protestant cathedral and four Roman Catholic churches; annual subsidy to each communion, 500l. Several private English schools; Government aided elementary schools, 16 (12 Roman Catholic). Pupils, 2,603 in 1918-19. Government grant, 4,387l. One magistrate's court and a supreme court. In 1939 there were 10 convictions of serious crime (2 of which occurred on the high seas), and 1,888 summary convictions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.