The ancient Empire of Abyssinia, or ‘Ethiopia‘, includes the Kingdoms of Tigré, with Lasta, in the north-east; Amhara, with Gojam, in the west and centre; Shoa in the south; besides territories and dependencies as far as Kaffa in the south and Harar in the south-east, with considerable portions of the Galla and Somali Lands. The whole area is 350,000 sq. miles, with an estimated population of over 8 millions. For treaties relating to the boundaries of Abyssinia see Statesman’s Year Book for 1907, p. 667. An agreement was reached in December, 1907, for the delimitation of the frontier towards British Hast Africa. The frontier follows the Dawa up to Ursulli, whence it runs mainly westwards, passing the south end of Lake Stephanie, and, after crossing the north-eastern branch of Lake Rudolf, runs mainly northwards and terminates at 6° N. 35° E. This frontier, however, is not yet finally delimitated and accepted by the Abyssinians.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.