History of Decision-Making
- 174 Downloads
The author looks back over 40 years of inquires and reviews of major police investigations such as The Yorkshire Ripper Case. The author identified 7 themes that run through 40 years of historical enquires, which are: Clarity and leadership among senior officers; Skills of SIOs; Systematic failures; Phasing of enquires; The role of the Major Incident Room; Information management; Individual investigative strategy failures. Past inquiries can help inform present or future investigative strategies by providing best practice and highlighting potential pitfalls. The role of the MIR and Holmes since the Yorkshire Ripper case illustrates the progress that has been made although in the case of the Harper, Maxwell and Hogg murders the suspect was not within the system. The issue of leadership among senior management teams and SIOs was discussed in the inquiries researched.
KeywordsClarity and leadership among senior officers Skills of SIO’s Systematic failures Phasing of enquires The role of the major incident room Information management Individual investigative strategy failures
- Adhami, E., & Browne, D. (1996). Major Crime Enquiries: Improving Expert Support for Detectives. UK: Police Research Group Special Interest Paper 9.Google Scholar
- Bilton, M. (2003). Wicked Beyond Belief. Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- IPOC (IPCC) Report on Poppi Worthington.Google Scholar
- Irving, B., & Dunningham, C. (1993). Human Factors in the Quality control of CID investigations and a review of training. Research papers on Criminal Justice Studies.Google Scholar
- KIrby, S. (2013). Effective Policing. Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Nicol, C., Innes, M., Gee, D., & Feist, A. (2004). Reviewing Murder Investigations: An Analysis of Progress Reviews from 6 Police Forces. Online Report 25/04 UK. Google Scholar
- NPCC Core Investigative Doctrine. library.college.police.uk/docs/acpo/Core-Investigative-Doctrine.pdf.
- Orde., H, & Rea, D. (2017). “Bear in Mind These Dead”: The Omagh Bombing and Policing. Belfast: Nicholson and Bass.Google Scholar
- Smith, N., & Flanagan, C. (2000). The Effective Detective: Identifying the Skills of an Effective SIO. London: Police Research Group, Home Office, UK.Google Scholar
- A Report on the Investigation by Cambridgeshire Constabulary into the Murders of Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells at Soham 4 August 2002 HMIC Sir Ronnie Flanagan HMIC.Google Scholar
- Sir William Macpherson Report on the Death of Stephen Lawrence CM 4261. 1 February 1999 Stationary Office, UK.Google Scholar
- The Damilola Taylor Murder Investigation Review: The Report of the Oversight Panel December 2002 Metropolitan Police, UK.Google Scholar
- The Shipman Inquiry 2nd Report: The Police Investigation of 1998 (2003) Chairman Dame Janet Smith OBE HMSO.Google Scholar
- The Victoria Climbie Report. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-victoria-climbie.