Competitive Dynamics in Pharmaceutical Markets: A Case Study in the Chronic Cardiac Disease Market
A modelling project involved system dynamics simulation of chronic cardiac disease in Bulgaria, examining the dynamic behaviour of a cardiac drug molecule in the market. The system dynamics model was calibrated using market data sourced from the Bulgarian National Health Care Fund, the Bulgarian Generic Pharmaceutical Association and a market research firm. The main results of the study showed that the timing of access to market was a critical driver in reducing prices and providing wider, as well as more affordable, access for patients to medicinal therapy. Our findings indicate that healthcare authorities may obtain savings while, at the same time, they may provide conditions for more patients to be treated depending on the timing of access to market of new generic drugs.
KeywordsDeveloping countries System dynamics Health service Practice of OR Pharmaceutical markets Drug policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrow KJ (1963). Uncertainty and the welfare economics of medical care. America Economic Review 53(5): 951–954.Google Scholar
- EC Pharmaceutical Forum Report. (2008). Working group on pricing and reimbursement. http://ec.europa.eu/pharmaforum/docs/ev_20081002_frep_en.pdf, accessed December 2011.
- EGA Report. (2009). How to increase patient access to generic medicines in European healthcare systems. http://egagenerics.com/images/publication/PDF/Market_Barriers_Report_FINAL_ update.pdf
- Folland, S., Goodman, A. and Stano, M. (2004). The Economics of Health and Health Care. New Jersey: Pearson Education, pp. 187–225.Google Scholar
- Generics Bulletin. (2011). Issues 5 August 2011 and 24 January 2011 www.generics-bulletin.com
- Hirsch, G. (2004). Modeling the consequences of major incidents for health care systems. 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. Oxford, England, 25–29 July.Google Scholar
- Hirsch, G., & Immediato, C.S. (1998). Design of simulators to enhance learning: Examples from a health care microworld. International System Dynamics Conference. Quebec City, July.Google Scholar
- Hirsch, G., Homer, J., McDonnell, G., & Milstein, B. (2005). Achieving health care reform in the United States: Toward a whole-system understanding. 23rd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. Boston, USA.Google Scholar
- Homer, J., & Milstein, B. (2004). Optimal decision making in a dynamic model of poor community health. 37th Hawaii International Conference on System Science. Big Island, HI, 5–8 January.Google Scholar
- Homer, J., Jones, A., Seville, D., Essien, J., Milstein, B., & Murphy, D. (2004b). The CDC diabetes system modeling project: Developing a new tool for chronic disease prevention and control. 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. Oxford, England, 25–29 July.Google Scholar
- IMS Health Report. (2010). Generic Medicines: Essential contributors to the Long-term health of society. Sector sustainability challenges in Europe. http://egagenerics.com/images/publication/PDF/IMS.pdf
- Kunc MH and Morecroft JD (2007). System dynamics modeling for strategic development. In F. O’Brien & R. Dyson (Eds.), Supporting strategy: Frameworks, methods and models. Chichester, UK: Wiley.Google Scholar
- McDonnell, G., Heffernan, M., & Faulkner, A. (2004). Using system dynamics to analyse health system performance within the WHO framework. 22nd International Conference of the System Dynamics Society. Oxford, England, 25–29 July.Google Scholar
- Milstein, B. (2008). Hygeia’s constellation: Navigating health futures in a dynamic and democratic world. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Syndemics Prevention Network, Archived version available at http://web.archive.org/web/20100307002849/http://www.cdc.gov/syndemics/monograph/index.htm, accessed 25 January 2013
- Morecroft J (2007). Strategic Modelling and Business Dynamics: A Feedback Systems Approach. John Wiley and Sons: England. Google Scholar
- Murphy, G., et al. (2009). Tested solutions for eliminating Canada’s registered nurse shortage. Canadian Nurses Association www2.cna-aiic.ca/CAN, accessed 13 June 2012.
- Sterman JD (2000). Business dynamics. Systems thinking and modelling for a complex world. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Wolstenholme, E. F. (1996). A management flight simulator for community care. In S. Cropper & P. Forte (Eds.), Enhancing Decision Making in the NHS. Milton Keynes, UK: Open University Press.Google Scholar