Technology and the Future of Policing
In this final chapter the authors have come together to present a brief discussion of the future of technology, its use by law enforcement officers/officials, and its potential concern. The technology under development today will soon reach the “street” tomorrow and the timeframe from development to common usage is becoming shorter in this digital age. This final chapter is, without doubt, an extremely important discussion to have. As the introduction to this text stated, the pace of change that takes place in technology today has never been seen before, and to maintain our knowledge and understanding, we need to be forward thinking and innovative in our own use of technology.
KeywordsFuture challenges Possible future scenarios Technology advances
- Accenture. (2013). Preparing police services for the future: Six steps toward transformation. Dublin, Ireland: Accenture Global Services Limited. Available at: https://www.accenture.com/us-en/insight-preparing-police-service-future-six-steps-toward-transformation.aspx.Google Scholar
- Advertisement. (2015, March/April). Greater utility. Law Enforcement Product News, 26(3), 4.Google Scholar
- APCO. (2007, August). A watching brief with body worn devices. Bapco Journal, 13(8), 6–7. Available at: http://www.bapco.org.uk/content/media/7758/bapco_aug_2007_.pdf.Google Scholar
- Barker, V., Giles, H., Hajek, C., Ota, H., Noels, K., Lim, T.-S., & Somera, L. (2008). Police communication. Why does it matter? Communication Currents, 3(3). Available at: https://www.natcom.org/CommCurrentsArticle.aspx?id=886.
- Bignami, F. (2015). The US legal system on data protection in the field of law enforcement. Safeguards, Rights and Remedies for EU Citizens. LIBE Committee: GWU Law School Public Law Research Paper No. 2015-54. Available at: SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2705618.
- Carsone, L. P., & Conser, J. A. (1984, February). Silicon streets blue. Law and Order Magazine, 54, 18–21.Google Scholar
- Conser, J. A., & Frissora, G. G. (2007). The patrol function in the future – One vision. In J. Schafer, (Ed.), Policing 2020: Exploring the future of crime, communities, and policing Quantico VA: Futures Working Group.Google Scholar
- Daigle, L. E. (2013). Victimology: The essentials. London: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Farb, R. L. (2002). The fourth amendment, privacy, and law enforcement. Popular Government, (Spring): 13–19.Google Scholar
- Galvin, B. (2015, March). Predictive policing software. Law Officer Magazine, 11(3), 20–23.Google Scholar
- Gitlin, J. M. (2015, July 2. Heads-up displays in cars can hinder driver safety. Cars Technica: All Things Automotive. Available at: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/07/heads-up-displays-in-cars-can-hinder-driver-safety/.
- Glennon, J. (2008, March 12). Pre-attack indicators: Conscious recognition of telegraphed cues. PoliceOne.com. Available at: http://www.policeone.com/police-products/training/articles/1660205-Pre-attack-indicators-Conscious-recognition-of-telegraphed-cues/.
- Hernandez, D. (2015, June 4). The new Google photos app is disturbingly good at data-mining your photos. Fusion. Available at: http://fusion.net/story/142326/the-new-google-photos-app-is-disturbingly-good-at-data-mining-your-photos/.
- Hollywood, J. S., Woods, D., Silberglitt, R., & Jackson, B. A. (2015). Using future Internet technologies to strengthen criminal justice. Washington, DC: National Institute of Justice and the RAND Corporation.Google Scholar
- Horizon, S. (2016). Domestic violence: Statistics & facts, Safehorizon. Moving Victims of Violence from Crisis to Confidence. Available at: http://www.safehorizon.org/page/domestic-violence-statistics–facts-52.html.
- Kennedy, T. J. (2015, May). Get to know FirstNet. Law Enforcement Technology, 42(5), 23–25.Google Scholar
- Krahnstoever, N. (2011, August). Automated detection and prevention of disorderly and criminal activities. (Document No. 235579) [Unpublished]. Available at: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/235579.pdf.
- Krebs, B. (2015). Spam Nation. Naperville, IL: Sourcebooks.Google Scholar
- Madhani, A. (2015, August 6). Motorola: High-tech future for police includes smartbelts and drones, USA Today. Available at: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/06/motorola-high-tech-future-police-includes-smartbelts-and-drones/31211027/.
- McCullough, D. R. C., & Spence, D. L. (2012). American policing in 2022, (Eds.) U.S. Department of Justice, COPS Office. Available at: http://ric-zai-inc.com/Publications/cops-p235-pub.pdf.
- Melekain, B. K., & Wexler, M. (2013, May). Social media and tactical considerations for law enforcement. Washington, DC: COPS and Police Executive Research Forum. Available at: http://www.policeforum.org/assets/docs/Free_Online_Documents/Technology/social%20media%20and%20tactical%20considerations%20for%20law%20enforcement%202013.pdf.Google Scholar
- Newcombe, T. (2014, September 26). Forecasting the future for technology and policing. Available at: http://www.govtech.com/public-safety/Forecasting-the-Future-for-Technology-and-Policing.html.
- Pepitone, J. (2013). What your wireless carrier knows about you. Available at: http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/16/technology/mobile/wireless-carrier-sell-data/.
- PlateSmart. (n.d.). PlateSmart benefits – More than just real-time data. Available at: http://www.platesmart.com/public-safety-commentary/#c.
- Police Executive Research Forum. (2014). Future trends in policing. Washington, DC: Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Available at: http://www.policeforum.org/assets/docs/Free_Online_Documents/Leadership/future%20trends%20in%20policing%202014.pdf.Google Scholar
- Risley, D. (2015, July). Private police coming to a neighborhood near you! why private police may be an important element of future law enforcement. The Police Chief, 82. Available at: http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&article_id=3770&issue_id=72015.
- Sancier, G. (2012, September 17). How ‘profiling’ can save your life. PoliceOne.com. Available at: http://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/5981617-How-profiling-can-save-your-life/.
- Schafer, J. (Ed.). (2007). Policing 2020: Exploring the future of crime, communities, and policing. Quantico VA: Futures Working Group.Google Scholar
- Scherer, J. R., & Jarvis, J. P. (2011). The future of law enforcement: A consideration of potential allies and adversaries, (Vol. 7). Proceedings of the Futures Working Group. Quantico, VA: Futures Working Group.Google Scholar
- Silberglitt, R., Chow, B. G., Hollywood, J. H., Woods, D., Zaydman, M., & Jackson, B. A. (2015). Visions of law enforcement technology in the period 2024–2034. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. Available at: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR900/RR908/RAND_RR908.pdf.Google Scholar
- Treverton, G. F., Wollman, M., Wilke, E., & Lai, D. (2011). Moving toward the future of policing. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation.Google Scholar
- Verhoeven, P. (Director), & Schmiidt, A. (Producer). (1987). Robocop [motion picture]. USA: Orion Pictures.Google Scholar
- Wakefield, J. (2013, July 3). Future cops: How technology is set to change policing. BBC News. Available at: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-22954783
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.