Major Repair Work: Whose Responsibility?
This chapter examines decision-making in relation to major repair work in multi-owned property in Hong Kong, China. It considers the difficulty a ‘responsible’ owner would have in the context of the current multi-ownership regime and the ecology of the building maintenance industry. Major repair works involve not just problems that are common to collective decision-making, such as free riding and collective action, but also technical complexity on the scope and expected quality of the major repairs. This chapter highlights the connection between internal issues of the property and the external environment in the process of decision-making. It contends that the state, the market and the third sector can each play an important role in providing innovative, flexible and socially responsible solutions.
- Apply Daily. 2013a. Project Cost of Garden Vista as High as HK$260m, October 15.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013b. Project Cost of Chi Fu Fa Yuen as High as HK$400m, October 15.Google Scholar
- BD (Buildings Department). 2015a. Registry of Approved Persons, Related Professionals and Contractors. http://www.bd.gov.hk/english/inform/index_ap.html. Accessed 10 Oct 2015.
- ———. 2015b. Our Services. http://www.bd.gov.hk/english/services/index.html. Accessed 10 Oct 2015.
- ———. 2015c. Operation Building Bright. http://www.bd.gov.hk/english/documents/index_OBB.html. Accessed 10 Oct 2015.
- Department of Justice. 2012. The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China. HKSAR v Chan Wai-yip and Others (2010) 13 HKCFAR 842. http://www.doj.gov.hk/publications/doj2012/eng/text/t_highlights.html. Accessed 10 Oct 2015.
- HKHS (Hong Kong Housing Society). 2015a. Integrated Building Maintenance Assistance Scheme. http://www.hkhs.com/eng/business/pm_ibmas.asp. Accessed 10 Oct 2015.
- ———. 2015b. Building Maintenance Grant Scheme for Elderly Owners. http://www.hkhs.com/eng/business/pm_bmgs.asp.
- ———. 2015c. Grant for Elderly Owner-Occupier. http://www.hkhs.com/eng/business/pdf/OBB_appForm_Elderly.pdf.
- ———. 2015d. Voluntary Building Assessment Scheme (VBAS). http://vbas.hkhs.com/en/home/index.html
- HKU (University of Hong Kong). 2015. Online Platform on Building Maintenance Cost (BMC) Database and Estimator. http://www.hku.hk/press/news_detail_12445.html
- Hong Kong Daily News. 2013. Owners’ Protest on Luxurous Maintenance that Costs HK$50m, December 23. Accessed 10 Oct 2015.Google Scholar
- Lam. 2014. Speech of the Representatives of the Alliance on Public Hearing of LegCo to Ask for Regulating the Property Management Company and Fight Bid-Rigging, July 23. https://www.facebook.com/anti.bidrigging/photos/a.495524930554154.1073741828.479771405462840/554392594667387/
- LegCo (Legislative Council). 2013. LCQ6: Corrupt Practices Involving Building Maintenance Works, December 4. http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201312/04/P201312040502_print.htm
- ———. 2015. Summary Speech of the Secretary for Development on Combating Bid-Rigging in Maintenance Projects of Private Buildings. http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/201512/02/P201512021032.htm (in Chinese).
- McKenzie, E. 1994. Privatopia: Homeowner Associations and the Rise of Residential Private Government. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Ming Pao. 2011. Over Half of the Repair Project of Old Buildings Were Over-Priced, February 11.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013. Insider Claims: Most Maintenance Projects are Bid-Rigged, November 27.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. ICAC to Prosecute Middleman of Bribery for the HK$260m Maintenance Project of Garden Vista, July 3.Google Scholar
- Sharma, A. 1997. Professional as Agent: Knowledge Asymmetry in Agency Exchange. Academy of Management Review 22 (3): 758–798.Google Scholar