Static and dynamic depolarized laser light scattering from large aggregates in equilibrium with small vesicles
Depolarized laser light-scattering measurements have been performed on dilute solutions of the ganglioside GM3 in order to confirm the existence of a small amount of axisymmetric particles in thermodynamic equilibrium with a main population of unilamellar vesicles (average radius 250 Å). Both static and dynamic data are consistent with a disklike form with an average radius of 3500 Å. The use of depolarized light scattering has been proved to be useful to optically separate the contributions coming from different coexisting aggregate shapes in solution.
Key wordsDepolarized light scattering vesicles GM3 ganglioside
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Cantù L, Corti M, Lago P, Musolino M (1991) SPIE, Photon Correlation Spectroscopy Multicomponent Systems 1430:144Google Scholar
- 5.Cantù L, Corti M, Musolino M (1992) Springer Proc in Phsics, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 66:185Google Scholar
- 8.Perrin F (1934) J Phys Rad 10:33; (1936) J Phys Rad 1:1Google Scholar
- 9.Berne BJ, Pecora R (1975) Dynamic light Scattering, Wiley NYGoogle Scholar
- 10.Horn P (1995) Ann Phys 12(10):386Google Scholar