Sedimentation equilibrium studies of synthetic polyelectrolytes by means of interference optical methods
Synthetic quaternary ammonium polyelectrolytes have been investigated in aqueous 0.5 M NaCl solution by analytical ultracentrifugation using the “low speed” sedimentation equilibrium technique with interference detection. Lower molecular mass poly(diallyldimethylammonium chloride) (poly-DADMAC)-samples (M W<105 g/mol) and poly(methacryloyloxyethylbenzyl-dimethylammonium chloride) (poly-MADAMBQ) exhibit “ideal” sedimentation equilibrium behavior. Linear log [η] vs. log M W — and log s O vs. log M W relations could be derived for poly-MADAMBQ. For higher molecular mass poly-DADMAC (M W>105 g/mol) and DADMAC-acrylamide copolymers a “non-ideal” solution behavior was observed resulting in deviations between molecular masses M w obtained by sedimentation equilibrium and by elastic light scattering. The experimental conditions desired for the molecular characterization of synthetic polyelectrolytes by sedimentation equilibrium are discussed.
Key wordsQuaternary ammonium polyelectrolytes molecular mass analytical ultracentrifugation sedimentation equilibrium light scattering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dautzenberg H, Jaeger W, Kötz J, Philipp B, Seidel CH, Stscherbina D (1994) Polyelectrolytes: Formation, Characterization, Application. Karl Hanser Publ., Munich, Chap. 5.Google Scholar
- 2.Dautzenberg H, Jaeger W, Kötz J, Philipp B, Seidel Ch, Stscherbina D (1994) Polyelectrolytes: Formation, Characterization, Application. Karl Hanser Publ., Munich, Chap. 1, p. 11 ff and references thereinGoogle Scholar
- 6.Brand F (1995) PhD Thesis, Tech Univ, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 8.Zimmermann A (1996) PhD Thesis, Tech Univ, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 9.Fujita H (1975) Foundations of Ultra-centrifugal Analysis. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 10.Lechner MD, Mächtle W (1992) Makromol Chem, Macromol Symp 61:165Google Scholar