Sensitivity of alpha-decay to the real alpha-nucleus potential
The information which can be obtained from studies of low energy alpha-particle scattering from heavy nuclei and from alpha-decay is discussed. The sensitivity of calculated widths and lifetimes for alpha-decay to the real nuclear potential is examined in detail using a formalism based on the unified theory of nuclear reactions. It is shown that a combined study of alpha-decay and alpha-particle scattering at energies near the Coulomb barrier should give a very precise determination of the barrier height and radius, although there is a more uniquely defined separation distance some way beyond the barrier.
KeywordsCoulomb Barrier Residual Nucleus Superheavy Nucleus Imaginary Potential Phenomenological Potential
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R.C. Barrett and D.F. Jackson, Nuclear Sizes and Structure (Oxford University Press, 1977) Chapter 7 and references given thereGoogle Scholar
- 7.I. Badawy, B. Berthier, P. Charles, M. Dost, B. Fernandez, J. Gastebois and S.M. Lee, preprintGoogle Scholar
- 8.D. Werdecker, Thesis, University of Cologne (1973), unpublished. Results quoted in ref.7Google Scholar
- 14.D.F. Jackson, International Symposium on Superheavy Elements (Lubbock, 1978) to be published by Pergamon PressGoogle Scholar
- 15.H. Feshbach, Reaction Dynamics (Gordon and Breach, New York, 1973)Google Scholar
- 18.D.F. Jackson and M. Rhoades-Brown, J. Phys.G: Nucl.Phys, in the pressGoogle Scholar
- 20.D.F. Jackson and E.J. Wolstenholme, Third International Conference on Clustering Aspects of Nuclei (Winnipeg, 1978) to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 22.A. Tohsaki-Suzuki, K. Naito, T. Ando and K. Ikeda, International Pre symposium on Clustering in Nuclei (Tokyo, 1977)Google Scholar
- 23.D.F. Jackson, E.J. Wolstenholme, L.S. Julien and C.J. Batty, preprintGoogle Scholar