Linear systems and robustness: a graph point of view
- 268 Downloads
This paper presents a framework for modelling and robust control of linear systems based on a graph point of view. Basic concepts such as linearity, causality, stabilizability can be defined as properties of the graph of a system. Uncertainty is naturally thought of in terms of perturbations of the graph. Modelling and approximation are also fundamentally related to the graph of the system. Robustness will be quantified in the graph setting using the gap metric. Necessary and sufficient conditions for robustness will be explained geometrically in terms of the graphs of the plant and controller. A flexible structure design example will be discussed.
KeywordsRobust Control Hankel Operator Disturbance Attenuation Parallel Projection Graph Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Buddie, T.T. Georgiou, Ü. Özgüner and M.C. Smith, Flexible structure experiments at JPL and WPAFB, report in preparation.Google Scholar
- M.J. Englehart and M.C. Smith, A four-block problem for H ∞ design: properties and applications, Automatica, to appear.Google Scholar
- C. Foias, T.T. Georgiou, and M.C. Smith, Geometric techniques for robust stabilization of linear time-varying systems, preprint, February 1990; and in the Proceedings of the 1990 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 2868–2873, December 1990.Google Scholar
- T.T. Georgiou and M.C. Smith, Robust control of feedback systems with combined plant and controller uncertainty, Proceedings of the 1990 American Control Conference, pp. 2009–2013, May 1990.Google Scholar
- T.T. Georgiou and M.C. Smith, Upper and lower bounds for approximation in the gap metric, preprint, February 1991.Google Scholar
- T.T. Georgiou and M.C. Smith, Graphs, causality and stabilizability: linear, shift-invariant systems on L 2[0, ∞), report in preparation.Google Scholar
- D.C. McFarlane and K. Glover, Robust controller design using normalized coprime factor plant descriptions, Lecture notes in Control and Information Sciences, Springer-Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- L. Qiu and E.J. Davison, Feedback stability under simultaneous gap metric uncertainties in plant and controller, preprint, 1991.Google Scholar
- G. Zames and A.K. El-Sakkary, Unstable systems and feedback: The gap metric, Proceedings of the Allerton Conference, pp. 380–385, October 1980.Google Scholar