Charge carrier transport in polyethylene studied by surface potential kinetics
Based on measurements of the isothermal U(t) and thermally stimulated surface potential decay TSCD, the charge carrier transport in HDPE is investigated. A simple mathematical model for describing the isothermal surface potential kinetics is presented, involving hopping transport of injected charge carriers being modulated by shallow and deep traps at the surface and in the bulk. The model parameters charge carrier mobility, hopping distance, trap concentration, trap depth and attempt-to-escape frequency were determined by curve fitting. Additional details of the energetic structure of traps are obtained from the TSCD investigations. The dependence of mobility and lifetime on the field strength is discussed.
Key wordsPolyethylene surface potential kinetics charge carrier mobility trap parameters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wintle HJ (1983) Engineering Dielectrics II A, Electrical Properties of Solid Insulating Materials. ASTM, Washington, pp 239–354Google Scholar
- 4.Perlman MM, Sonnonstine TJ (1975) Proc Int Symp on Electrets and Dielectrics. São Carlos, pp 337–355Google Scholar
- 6.Brehmer L, Dahme A, Weigel P, Pinnow M (1979) Potsdamer Forsch B 19:40Google Scholar
- 7.Gubkin AN, Mitronina VS, Sergienko VF, Subbotin MJ (1959) Prib i Tekhn Eksper 4:113Google Scholar
- 12.von Berlepsch H (1985) Phys Status Solidi a 90:K97Google Scholar