Kinetic and spectroscopic properties of small colloids of metal iodide semiconductors
Small colloidal HgI2, PbI2 and AgI particles (with particle diameters in the range 20–50 Å), were prepared in water and acetonitrile, and optical effects due to size quantization were observed. A simple method for the preparation of colloids was used to avoid the possibility of the formation of complexes or other conflicting absorbing species in solution. Colloids of HgI2 were prepared by simple agglomeration of HgI2 monomeric molecules. The PbI2 colloid formation in the solution of crystalline powder dissolved in acetonitrile was studied as well. Small colloids of AgI were prepared by reaction of silver salt with iodide in stochiometric ratio. AgI colloids were also incorporated in transparent silicate glass. Electron transfer reactions from electron donors to AgI particles in aqueous solutions were studied by pulse radiolysis technique.
Key wordsQuantization effect metal iodide absorption spectra electron adduct
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Balchin AA (1980) In: Levy I (ed) Crystallography and Crystal Chemistry of Materials with Layered Structures, Vol 2. D Reidel Pub Co, Dorderecht, p 31Google Scholar
- 4.Bedikyan LD, Miloslavskii VK, Ageev A (1979) Opt Spectros 47:225Google Scholar
- 8.DiSalvo FJ (1974) In: Timmerhaus KD, Sullivan WJ, Hammel EF (eds) Low Temperature Physics LT-13, Vol 3. PLenum Press, New York, p 417Google Scholar
- 9.Fojtik A, Weller H, Koch V, Henglein A (1984) Ber Bunsenges Phys Chem 88:649Google Scholar
- 11.Harbeke G, Tossani E (1975) RCA Rev 36:40Google Scholar
- 12.Henglein A (1983) In: Baxendale Memorial Symposium, Consiglio Nazionale delle Richerche, Instituto di Fotochimica e Radiazioni’ Alta Energia, Centro Stampa, Lo Scarabeo, Bologna, pp 43–58Google Scholar
- 17.Micic OI, Zongguan L, Mills G, Sullivan JC, Meisel D (1987) J Phys Chem, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 20.Peterson MW, Micic OI, Nozik AJ (1988)J Phys Chem, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Tanaka T, Saigo H, Matsubara TJ (1982) PHotogr Sci 26:92Google Scholar
- 27.Van Olphen H (1977) An Introduction to Clay Colloid Chemistry. J Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar