The III–V nitride semiconductors for blue light emission: Recent progress and a critical evaluation of their potential in comparison to the ZnSe based II–VI semiconductors
The GaN based III–V nitride material system holds great promise for optical device technologies in the blue and ultraviolet spectra. Past researchers were hindered by high background electron concentrations, an inability to dope GaN p-type, and lack of a suitable substrate material. In the last several years, significant progress in overcoming each of these difficulties has created widespread interest in GaN device applications. These breakthroughs are reviewed and the remaining obstacles to the fabrication of a GaN laser are identified. Based on a detailed comparison of the material properties of GaN to ZnSe, it is predicted that GaN based lasers will have significantly better performance and reliability.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cree Research Inc., 2810 Meridian Parkway, Durham, NC 27713 USA.Google Scholar
- Nichia Chemical Industries Ltd., Ogawa Building, Shiba 5-Chrome, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108 Japan.Google Scholar
- Michael Ross, Shrinking Blue Bits and Lasers, IBM Research Magazine, no. 3 (1993) 10.Google Scholar
- For reviews of native defects in the III–V nitrides see: S. Strite, “Defects and Impurities in III–V Semiconductors”, in Properties of the III–V Nitrides EMIS Datareview Series, J. Edgar ed., INSPEC IEE 1994, or T. L. Tansley, R. J. Egan, Phys. Rev. B 45 (1992) 10942.Google Scholar
- S. Nakamura, T. Mukai, M. Senoh, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 195.Google Scholar
- S. Nakamura, N. Iwasa, M. Senoh, T. Mukai, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 191.Google Scholar
- R. J. Molnar, T. Lei, T. D. Moustakas, Proc. Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. 281 (1993) 753.Google Scholar
- S. Nakamura, T. Mukai, M. Seno, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 195.Google Scholar
- S. Strite and H. Morkoç, “Thin Film Deposition and Dopant Incorporation by Energetic Particle Sources”, in Handbook of Thin Film Process Technology, D. A. Glocker and S. I. Shah, eds., Institute of Physics (Bristol 1994).Google Scholar
- M. E. Lin, Z. F. Fan, L. H. Allen, H. Morkoç, Appl. Phys. Lett. in press.Google Scholar
- G. A. Martin, S. Strite, A. Botchkarev, A. Agarwal, A. Rockett, W. R. L. Lambrecht, B. Segall, H. Morkoç, Appl. Phys. Lett. in press.Google Scholar
- E. A. Albanesi, W. R. L. Lambrecht, B. Segall, in Proc. 21st Conf. Phys. Chem. Semicond. Interfaces to appear in J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B.Google Scholar