Real-time signal processing in a collision avoidance radar system using parallel computing
Colarado (an acronym for collision avoidance radar able to distinguish obstacles) is a system for use in the control of autonomously driven vehicles, having static radar antennas. By combining the echos, resulting from 2 continuously emitting transmitters and 3 receivers, it is possible to compute the locations of obstacles in 3 dimensions. The main problem is to separate the real obstacles from ghosts amongst noise and clutter, up to a distance of 12.8 m. This paper discusses the signal processing algorithms as well as the related real-time parallel computer hardware and system software.
KeywordsRadar Data Phase Data Block Transfer Object Trace FMCW Radar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H.J. Agterkamp. “An efficient system for real-time object recognition with bistatic radars”, Tech. Report 1-68340-44(1995)07, Delft Univ., Fac. of Electrical engineering, CARDIT Lab., October 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.H.J. Agterkamp. “Multiple target trace and track software design,” CARDIT, TU Delft, internal memo.Google Scholar
- 3.A.J.C. van Gemund, G.J. Agterkamp and G.L. Reijns, “An approach to real-time object recognition in radar-based collision avoidance systems,” Technical report, Delft Univ., Fac. of Electrical engineering, CARDIT Lab., May 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.J.C. Joosse. “A unified programming model for the computational system of Colarado,” MSc. thesis, Delft Univ., Fac. of Electrical Engineering, CARDIT Lab., March 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.J.P. Karelse. “Multistatic antenna configuration optimization for the Colarado system”, MSc thesis, IRCTR, TU Delft, Feb. 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.L.P. Ligthart, L.R. Nieuwkerk, J.S. van Sinttrueyen, “Basic characteristics of FMCW radar systems,” Avionics panel symposium on multifunction on radar for airborne applications NATO conference, Toulouse, 1985.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Schier, H.X. Lin and A.J.C. van Gemund, “Colarado system; Peak tracking and tracing algorithm and its parallel implementation,” Technical Report 95–101, Delft Univ., Fac. of Applied Mathematics and Informatics, Delft, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Schier, A.J.C. van Gemund, “PTT and OTT enhancement,” Technical Report, Delft Univ., Fac. of Electrical engineering, CARDIT Lab., April 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.P.J.F. Swart, L.R. Nieuwkerk, “Collision avoidance radar able to differentiate objects”, Proc. European Microwave Conference, Israel, Sept. 1997, pp. 45–50.Google Scholar
- 10.P.J. Swart, J. Schier, A.J.C. van Gemund, W.F. van der Zwan, J.P. Karelse, G.L. Reijns, P. van Genderen, L.P. Ligthart, H.T. Steenstra. “The Colarado multistatic FMCW radar system,” Second European Microwave Conference, Amsterdam 1998, pp. 449–454.Google Scholar