On Milman's inequality and random subspaces which escape through a mesh in ℝn
Let S be a subset in the Euclidean space ℝ n and 1 <- k < n. We find sufficient conditions which guarantee the existence and even with probability close to 1, of k-codimensional subspaces which miss S. As a consequence we derive a sharp form of Milman's inequality and discuss some applications to Banach spaces.
KeywordsGaussian Process Closed Subset Isoperimetric Inequality Springer Lecture Note Random Subspace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [DS]S. Dilworth and S. Szarek, The cotype constant and almost Euclidean decomposition of finite dimensional normed spaces, preprint.Google Scholar
- [G2]Y. Gordon, Gaussian processes and almost spherical sections of convex bodies, The Annals of Probability 16 (1987), to appear.Google Scholar
- [G3]Y. Gordon, Elliptically contoured distributions, Probability Theory and Related Fields, to appear.Google Scholar
- [M1]V.D. Milman, Random subspaces of proportional dimension of finite dimensional normed spaces; approach through the isoperimetric inequality, Banach Spaces, Proc. Missouri Conference, 1986, Springer Lecture Notes #1166, 106–115.Google Scholar
- [M3]V.D. Milman, Volume approach and iteration procedures in local theory of Banach spaces, Proc. Missouri Conf. 1984, Springer Lecture Notes 1166, 1985.Google Scholar
- [M4]V.D. Milman, The concentration phenomenon and linear structure of finite-dimensional normed spaces, to appear.Google Scholar
- [MS]V.D. Milman and G. Schechtman, Asymptotic theory of finite dimensional normed spaces, Springer Lecture Notes 1200, 1986.Google Scholar
- [P1]G. Pisier, Sur les éspaces de Banach K-convexes, Sém. D'Analyse Fonctionelle, exposé XI, 1979–80.Google Scholar
- [PT2]A. Pajor and N. Tomczak-Jaegermann, Gelfand numbers and Euclidean sections of large dimensions, Springer Lecture Notes, Proc. Probability Conf., Aarhus, Denmark 1986, to appear.Google Scholar