Strong asymptotics for Lp extremal polynomials (1<p≤∞) associated with weights on [−1, 1]
While Szegö type asymptotics of orthonormal polynomials are classical, there has been a longstanding lack of corresponding results for Lp extremal polynomials, p≠2. In particular, in a 1969 paper, Widom raised the question of p=∞. Here we fill some of the gaps for 1<p≤∞.
AMS (MOS) ClassificationPrimary 41A60 42C05
Key Words and PhrasesExtremal polynomials strong or power or Szegö asymptotics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N.I. Achiezer, Theory of Approximation, (transl. by C.J. Hyman), Ungar, New York, 1956.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Freud, Orthogonal Polynomials, Akademiai Kiado/Pergamon Press, Budapest, 1971.Google Scholar
- 5.D.S. Lubinsky, A Survey of General Orthogonal Polynomials for Weights on Finite and Infinite Intervals, to appear in Acta Appl. Math.Google Scholar
- 6.D.S. Lubinsky and E.B. Saff, Sufficient Conditions for Asymptotics Associated with Weighted Extremal Problems on ℝ, to appear in Rocky Mountain J. Math.Google Scholar
- 7.D.S. Lubinsky and E.B. Saff, Strong Asymptotics for Extremal Errors and Extremal Polynomials Associated with Weights on (−∞,∞), to appear in Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Nevai, Orthogonal Polynomials, Memoirs Amer. Math. Soc., Vol. 213, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1979.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Szegö, Orthogonal Polynomials, Amer. Math. Soc. Colloq. Pub., Vol. 23, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I., 1939,4th edn., 1975.Google Scholar