Second order accurate upwind solutions of the 2D steady Euler equations by the use of a defect correction method
In this paper a description is given of first and second order finite volume upwind schemes for the 2D steady Euler equations in generalized coordinates. These discretizations are obtained by projection-evolution stages, as suggested by Van Leer. The first order schemes can be solved efficiently by multigrid methods. Second order approximations are obtained by a defect correction method. In order to maintain monotone solutions, a limiter is introduced for the defect correction method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, W.T., Thomas, J.L., and Van Leer, B., "A comparison of finite volume flux vector splittings for the Euler equations" AIAA Paper No. 850122.Google Scholar
- Chakravarthy, S.R. and Osher, S., "High resolution applications of the Osher upwind scheme for the Euler equations." AIAA Paper 83-1943,Proc.AIAA Sixth Computational Fluid Dynamics Conf.(Danvers,Mass.July 1983), 1983,pp363–372.Google Scholar
- Chakravarthy, S.R. and Osher, S., "A new class of high accuracy TVD schemes for hyperbolic conservation laws." AIAA Paper 85-0363,AIAA 23rd Aerospace Science Meeting. (Jan.14–17, 1985/Reno,Nevada).Google Scholar
- Godunov, S.K., "A finite difference method for the numerical computation of discontinuous solutions of the equations of fluid dynamics." Mat.Sb.(N.S.)47(1959),271-;also Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory transl..Google Scholar
- Hemker, P.W., "Defect correction and higher order schemes for the multi grid solution of the steady Euler equations." In this volume.Google Scholar
- Hemker, P.W. & Spekreijse, S.P., "Multigrid solution of the Steady Euler Equations." In: Advances in Multi-Grid Methods (D. Braess, W. Hackbusch and U. Trottenberg eds) Proceedings Oberwolfach Meeting, Dec. 1984, Notes on Numerical Fluid Dynamics, Vol.11, Vieweg, Braunschweig, 1985.Google Scholar
- Mulder, W.A. "Multigrid Relaxation for the Euler equations." To appear in: J. Comp. Phys. 1985.Google Scholar
- Van Leer, B., "Flux-vector splitting for the Euler equations." In: Procs. 8th Intern. Conf. on numerical methods in fluid dynamics, Aachen, June, 1982. Lecture Notes in Physics 170, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- Van Leer, B., "Upwind difference methods for aerodynamic problems governed by the Euler equations." Report 84-23, Dept. Math. & Inf., Delft Univ. Techn., 1984.Google Scholar
- Van Leer, B. & Mulder, W.A., "Relaxation methods for hyperbolic equations." Report 84-20, Dept. Math. & Inf., Delft Univ. Techn., 1984.Google Scholar