An architecture for an interactive multimedia system based on MPEG-2
The standardization of video coding techniques as well as data networks has attained a maturity that enables to consider wide and successful deployment of public video services. Today, numerous implementations of Video-On-Demand and Tele-medical applications are operational and are based on MPEG and ATM standards. Based on these standards, many other applications can rapidly be deployed. In this paper we present a new simple MPEG-2 based architecture to fulfill a subset of the MPEG-4 specified functionalities especially content based coding and interactivity. A prototype is also presented and evaluated.
KeywordsMotion Estimation Visual Quality Move Picture Expert Group Video Object Plane Quantization Coefficient
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.F. Coelho. traffic control for VBR video in ATM networks. ENST Paris. 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Le Gall. MPEG: A Video Compression Standard for Multimedia Applications. Communications of the ACM, 4(34):305–313, April 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.ISO-IEC/JTC1/SC29/WG11. Generic Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio: Video. In Recommendation ITU-T H.262, ISO/IEC 13818-2, November 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Puri. Video Coding Using the MPEG-2 Compression Standard. In Proceedings of SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing, Boston, November 1993.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Hamdi, J.W. ROBERTS and P. ROLIN. Rate Control for VBR Video Coders in Broadband Networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Special Issue. 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Traffic Characteristics of 3D-DCT Video Compression Algorithm. P. Rolin, H. Afifi, M. Hamdi. Cost-237 Multimedia Workshop. Lancaster. June 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.N.Lagha. The MPEG4 standard, a state of the art. Technical report. RSM department ENST de Bretagne.Google Scholar
- 11.MPEG AOE Group, “Proposal Package Description (PPD) — Revision 3”, Doc. ISO/IEC ITC1/SC29/WG11 N998, Tokyo meeting, July 1995Google Scholar
- 12.IM1 MPEG-4 player http://televr.fou.telenor.no/~karlo/compositor/October 97Google Scholar
- 13.ISO-IEC/JTC1/SC29/WG11. Code drepresentation Pictures and Audio Information. In MPEG Test Model 5Google Scholar