Inside the distributed systems annex
The current Ada revision tries as much as possible to provide the programmer with an easy way to build distributed systems; in many cases, the programmer can easily modify its monolithic application and transform it in a very short amount of time into a distributed one. However, there is a huge amount of work involved in the compiler and in external tools and libraries to build and run a distributed application without loosing Ada semantics and strong type checking. This paper describes how such a task has been achieved in the current implementation of GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler, and in GLADE, GNAT's companion package for building and running distributed programs.
KeywordsReference Manual Remote Access Object File Storage Pool Primitive Operation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anthony Gargaro, Yvon Kermarrec, Laurent Pautet, and Samuel Tardieu. PARIS: Partitionned Ada for Remotely Invoked Services. In Proceedings of Ada-Europe'95, Frankfurt, Germany, March 1995.Google Scholar
- JTC 1/SC 33. Specification of Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1). 1990. ISO 8824:1990.Google Scholar
- Yvon Kermarrec, Laurent Nana, and Laurent Pautet. Gnatdist: a configuration language for distributed ada 95 applications. In Proceedings of Tri-Ada'96, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1996.Google Scholar
- Yvon Kermarrec, Laurent Pautet, and Samuel Tardieu. GARLIC: Generic Ada Reusable Library for Interpartition Communication. In Proceedings of the Tri Ada conference, Anaheim, California, 1995. ACM.Google Scholar
- Sun Microsystems. Remote Method Invocation — Documentation.Google Scholar
- Sun Microsystems. xdr — library routines for external data representation.Google Scholar
- Daniel Neri, Laurent Pautet, and Samuel Tardieu. Debugging distributed applications with replay capabilities. In Proceedings of Tri-Ada'97, Saint-Louis, Missouri, 1997.Google Scholar
- OMG TC Document 97-09-01. The Common Object Request Broker: Architecture and Specification Revision 2.1. September 1997.Google Scholar
- Laurent Pautet and Thomas Wolf. Transparent filtering of streams in GLADE. In Proceedings of Tri-Ada'97, Saint-Louis, Missouri, 1997.Google Scholar
- Claude E. Shannon and Warren Weaver. The Mathematical Theory of Communication. University of Illinois Press, 1963.Google Scholar
- Richard W Stevens. Unix Network Programming. Prentice Hall, 1990.Google Scholar
- Tucker Taft. Ada 95 Reference Manual: Language and Standard Libraries. February 1995. ISO/IEC/ANSI 8652:1995.Google Scholar