Robust registration of dissimilar single and multimodal images
In this paper, we develop data driven registration algorithms, relying on robust pixel similarity metrics, that enable an accurate (sub-pixel) rigid registration of dissimilar single and multimodal 2D/3D images. A “soft redescending” estimator is associated to a top down stochatic multigrid relaxation algorithm in order to obtain robust, data driven multimodal image registrations. With the stochastic multigrid strategy, the registration is not affected by local minima in the objective function and a manual initialization near the optimal solution is not necessary. The proposed robust similarity metrics are compared to the most popular standard similarity metrics, on synthetic as well as on real world image pairs showing gross dissimilarities. Two case-studies are considered: the registration of single and multimodal 3D medical images and the matching of multispectral remotely sensed images showing large overcast areas.
KeywordsMutual Information Image Registration Multimodal Image Registration Error Similarity Metrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.R. P. Woods, J. C. Mazziota, and S. R. Cherry. MRI-PET registration with automated algorithm. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 17(4):536–546, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.J. West, M. Fitzpatrick, M. Wang, B. Dawan, C. Maurer, Jr. R. Maciunas, C. Barillot, D. Lemoine, A. Collignon, F. Maes, P. Suetens, D. Vandermeulen, P. Van den Elsen, S. Napel, T. Sumanaweera, B. Harkness, P. Hemler, D. Hill, D. Hawkes, C. Studholme, A. Mainz, M. Viergever, G. Malandain, X. Pennec, M. Noz, G. Maguire, Jr. M. Pollack, C. Pelizzari, R. Robb, D. Hanson, and R. Woods. Comparison and evaluation of retrospective intermodality brain image registration techniques. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 21(4):554–566, 1997.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.G. Malandain, S. Fernàndez-Vidal, and J. M. Rocchisani. Improving registration of 3D medical images using a mechanical-based method. Lecture Notes in Computer Vision (ECCV'94), 801:131–136, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.J. P. Thirion, A. Gourdon, O. Monga, A. Guéziec, and N. Ayache. Fully automatic registration of 3D CAT-scan images using crest lines. 14th International Conference EMBS'92 (IEEE), pages 1888–1890, 1992.Google Scholar
- 11.G.E. Christensen, M.I. Miller, M.W. Vannier, and U. Grenander. Individualizing neuro-anatomical atlases using a massively parallel computer. IEEE Computer, pages 32–38, January 1996.Google Scholar
- 20.S. Geman and D. Geman. Stochastic relaxation, Gibbs distribution and the bayesian restoration of images. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 24(6):721–741, 1984.Google Scholar