Dynamic packet routing on arrays with bounded buffers
We study the performance of packet routing on arrays (or meshes) with bounded buffers in the routing switches, assuming that new packets are continuously inserted at all the nodes. We give the first routing algorithm on this topology that is stable under an injection rate within a constant factor of the hardware bandwidth. Unlike previous results, our algorithm does not require the global synchronization of the insertion times or the retraction and reinsertion of excessively delayed messages and our analysis holds for a broad range of packet generation stochastic distributions. This result represents a new application of a general technique for the design and analysis of dynamic algorithms that we first presented in [Broder et al., FOCS 96, pp. 390–399.].
KeywordsDynamic Algorithm Input Queue Admission Control Mecha High Priority Packet Dynamic Packet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Z. Broder, A. M. Frieze, and E. Upfal. A general approach to dynamic packet routing with bounded buffers. Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science. Burlington, 1996, pp. 390–399.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Z. Broder and E. Upfal. Dynamic deflection routing on arrays. Proceedings of the 28th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing. Philadelphia, 1996, pp. 348–355.Google Scholar
- 3.U. Feige. “Nonmonotonic phenomena in packet routing”, manuscript, march 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Harcol-Balter and P. Black. Queuing analysis of oblivious packet routing networks. Procs. of the 5th Annual ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms. Pages 583–592, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Harcol-Balter and D. Wolf. Bounding delays in packet-routing networks. Procs. of the 27th Annual ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, 1995, pp. 248–257.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Kahale and T. Leighton. Greedy dynamic routing on arrays. Procs. of the 6th Annual ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms. Pages 558–566, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.F. T. Leighton. Average case analysis of greedy routing algorithms on arrays. Procs. of the Second Annual ACM Symp. on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. Pages 2–10, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.F. T. Leighton. Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. Morgan-Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA 1992.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Mitzenmacher. Bounds on the greedy algorithms for array networks. Procs. of the 6th Annual ACM Symp. on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. Pages 346–353, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Rubshtein. A Dynamic Hot Potato Routing Algorithm for the Torus. M.Sc. thesis, The Weizmann Institute, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Scheideler and B. Voecking Universal continuous routing strategies. SPAA '96.Google Scholar
- 12.G. D. Stamoulis and J. N. Tsitsiklis. The efficiency of greedy routing in hypercubes and butterflies. Procs. of the 6th Annual ACM Symp. on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures. Pages 346–353, 1994.Google Scholar