Lexical acquisition for lexical databases
This paper describes our lexical acquisition system, which supplements knowledge in the lexical database with knowledge acquired from human informants. The database is organized to support the needs of natural language processing applications and facilitate the operation of acquisition system.
KeywordsSemantic Relation Lexical Database Syntactic Information Sample Sentence Machine Readable Dictionary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Olney. To All Interested in the Merriam Webster Transcripts and Data Derived from them. System Development Corporation Document L-13579. 1968.Google Scholar
- D.J. Carver (ed.) Collins English Dictionary. Collins Publishers, Birmingham, 1974.Google Scholar
- A.S. Hornby (ed.) Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary. Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1974.Google Scholar
- T. Ahlswede. Syntactic and Semantic Analysis of Definitions in a Machine Readable Dictionary. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Department of Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, 1988.Google Scholar
- M. Evens (ed.) Relational Models of the Lexicon. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1988.Google Scholar
- F. Householder, W. Wolfgang, and J. Matthews. Preliminary Classification of Adverbs in English. Indiana Linguistic Club, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 1965.Google Scholar
- J. Grimshaw and R. Jackendoff. Report to NSF on grant IST-81-20403 (Brandeis Verb List). Department of Linguistics, Brandeis University. 1985.Google Scholar
- N. Sager. Natural Language Information Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1981.Google Scholar
- R. Quirk, S. Greenbaum, G. Leech, J. Svartvik. A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. Longman, London, 1985.Google Scholar
- S. Jacobson. Adverbial Positions in English. Dissertation, Uppsala, AB Studentbok, Stockholm, 1964.Google Scholar
- S. Jacobson. On the Use, Meaning, and Syntax of English Preverbial Adverbs. Almqvist & Wiksell International, Stockholm, 1978.Google Scholar
- M. Evens, S. Pin-Ngern, T. Ahlswede, S.M. Li, and J. Markowitz. Acquiring Information from Informants for a Lexical Database. In Proceedings of the First International Lexical Acquisition Workshop, Detroit, Michigan, 1989.Google Scholar