A specification and verification tool for communication protocols
This paper describes Protype, a prototyping tool for communication protocol specifications. The tool is based on extended finite state machine augmented with context variables and procedural information. The tool helps a protocol designer in developing error free protocols. It also helps protocol implementors in verifying protocols.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berry, D.B., "Towards a Formal Basis for the Formal Development Method and the Ina Jo Specification Language," IEEE Trans. Software Eng.,SE-13 (2), Feb. 1987, pp. 184–201.Google Scholar
- 2.Bochmann, G.V. and Chung, R.J., "A Formalized Specification of HDLC Classes of Procedures," in Proc.Nat. Telecommn.Conference, Los Angeles, CA, Dec. 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.Boehm, B.W. and Papaccio, P.N., "Understanding and Controlling Software Costs," IEEE Trans.Soft.Eng., pp.1462–1467, Oct.1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Chang, W.Y.L., Vuoung, S.T. and Ito, M.R., "An Improved Test Generation Procedure based on UIOS," in Communications, Architectures and Protocols, SIGCOMM, '89,pp.283–294, Texas, Sept. 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.Frieder, O.and Herman, G.E., "Protocol Verification using Database Technology," IEEE JSAC, April 1989, Vol.7, No.3.Google Scholar
- 6.Gouda, M.G. and Yu, Y.T., "Protocol Validation by Maximal Progress State Exploration," IEEE Trans. Commn., Jan, 1984.Google Scholar
- 7.Information Processing Systems — Open Systems Interconnection, "LOTUS (formal description technique based on temporal ordering of observational behavior)," ISO 8807, International Organization for Standardization, Aug.1987.Google Scholar
- 8.ISO TC97/SC21/WG1, "Estelle — A Formal Description Technique based on an Extended State Transition Model," DP9074, May 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.Rockstrom, A. and Saracco, R., "SDL — CCITT Specification and Description Language," IEEE Trans. Commn., Vol.COM-30, No.6, pp.1310–1318, June 1962.Google Scholar
- 10.Sidhu, D.P., "Protocol Verification via Executable Logic Specifications," in Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, III, Rudin H. and West, C.H., Eds., North Holland, 1983, pp.237–248.Google Scholar
- 11.Sidhu, D.P. and Chang, C.S., "Probabilistic Testing of Protocols," in Communications, Architectures and Protocols, SIGCOMM '89, Texas, pp. 295–302, Sept. 1989.Google Scholar
- 12.West, C.H., "Protocol Validation in Complex Systems," in Communications, Architectures and Protocols, SIGCOMM '89, Texas, pp. 303–312, Sept. 1989.Google Scholar
- 14.Zave, P., "An Operational Approach to Requirement Specifications for Embedded Systems,"pp. 250–269, May 1982.Google Scholar